VMware Cloud Community
pdowning
Contributor
Contributor

Dell R720 Server Purple Screen after upgrade from ESXi 5.0 to 5.5.0

The server has been running fine for a few days after doing the update. This morning we see this attached image, that I had to get using the DRAC virtual console. Towards the bottom it says Partial Dump: out of space, is that disk space or RAM. I restarted the physical server and all the VM's came up fine and seem to be working properly, but I can't find any alerts/logs that we can look at the see WHY it went purple on us.  Any clues?

Paul Downing

0 Kudos
3 Replies
S_Grimbuhler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

As shown in the HCG (VMware Compatibility Guide: System Search) it seems that some Dell feature on ESX 5.5 needs Bios v.2.0.19.

As purple screens are generally linked to hardware/firmware issues, maybe you should check and update your firmware.

hope it help.

Grimbuhler Stéphane (VCP, VCAP-DCA, VCI) www.virtualgeek.ch (My virtualization blog)
0 Kudos
pdowning
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. But we just spent all weekend updating all firmware, DRACs and BIOS on all the R720's. They are reporting BIOS as 2.2.2.   Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that the system diagnostic/system log partition was ever setup to capture crash dumps like this.  Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You might need to contact support if you have contracts..

0 Kudos