VMware Cloud Community
yusi_42
Contributor
Contributor

Dell Precision T3620 1220v6 ESXİ 7.0 support

Hello, I want to buy Precision T3620 1220v6.

I want to install esxi 7.0 and vCenter 7 on this hardware, will it work? Does it also work at 6.7u3.
Can you help, thank you.

E3-1220 v6
8 GB DDR4-2400
SATA 1x 1 TB
NVIDIA Quadro P400 2 GB DDR4
Psu 365 wat

Tags (1)
7 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

The CPU supports ESXi 6.7 and 7.0, but the rest of the system does not because it's a consumer piece of hardware.

yusi_42
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your answer to daphnissov.
I will use this hardware for home lab, All I need is ESXi and maybe 2-4 VMs
I think if this ws can take me, I will buy. (I did not find much choice according to my budget)

https://www.teknobiyotik.com/bilgisayar/workstation/dell-precision-mese-v2-t3620-intel-xeon-e3-1220-...

I'm using google translate

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You will have to guess. No guarantees it'll work.

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I will use this hardware for home lab, All I need is ESXi and maybe 2-4 VMs

Just one more thing. If you get this to work with ESXi, and you want to setup vCenter plus some VMs, then 8GB RAM will definitely be not enough. I'm running a small virtual vSphere lab at home, based on VMware Workstation on a PC with 32GB RAM, which IMO is the minimum RAM that you need.

André

yusi_42
Contributor
Contributor

thank you André.
I can add Ram in the future, can I install normal ddr4 (used on pc motherboards) on this motherboard?

T3620 specs and Intel C236 chipset   

page 42

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/precision-t3620-workstation_owners-manual_en-us.pdf

1220 v6 specs

Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1220 v6 (8M Cache, 3.00 GHz) Product Specifications

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

... can I install normal ddr4 (used on pc motherboards) on this motherboard?

From the information you provided it look like you can. However, in doubt contact Dell, or ask the memory vendor. Most vendors offer a selector from which you can select your system, which will then show supported memory. Also keep in mind that ECC, and non-ECC memory usually cannot be mixed, and that it may be necessary to add memory in pairs. So make sure that you gather the required information before you purchase additional RAM.

Hint: Once you have the system, use e.g. CPU-Z to find out the specs of what RAM came with the system.

André

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread created in the Hands On Labs area for some unknown reason. Moved to ESXi.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog