VMware Cloud Community
Mike72677
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dell OptiPlex 960 - Hardware Virtualization

I'm trying to setup ESXi 5.5 on a Dell OptiPlex 960, but I'm getting an error: "HARDWARE_VIRTUALIZATION WARNING: Hardware Virtualization is not a feature of the CPU, or is not enabled in the BIOS".  However, I believe it is a feature of the CPU and is enabled in the BIOS.  Below is my hardware information.  Any insight would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Intel Processor ID utility shows the following:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00 Ghz

Supports Intel Virtualization Technology

Does NOT support Intel VT-x with Extended Page Tables.

Intel's site reports the CPU DOES support VT-x.

ARK | Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E8400 (6M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)

BIOS is up to date on A18

Intel Virtualization Technology is enabled in the BIOS.

Intel VT for Direct I/O is enabled in the BIOS

Intel Trusted Execution Technology is enabled in the BIOS

TPM Secuirty is turned on in the BIOS

VT.ISO reports for both CPUS

VT is disabled in the feature control MSR!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I can't tell you for sure whether this will work, but I'd suggest you make sure "VT-x" as well as "Execute Disable" are both enabled, and the other option you mentioned (VT-d, Trusted Execution, TPM) are all disabled.

After changing any of these settings, make sure you power cycle (power off/power on) the PC after saving the settings. A simple reboot is usually not sufficient.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I can't tell you for sure whether this will work, but I'd suggest you make sure "VT-x" as well as "Execute Disable" are both enabled, and the other option you mentioned (VT-d, Trusted Execution, TPM) are all disabled.

After changing any of these settings, make sure you power cycle (power off/power on) the PC after saving the settings. A simple reboot is usually not sufficient.

André

0 Kudos
Mike72677
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you!  Didn't realize you didn't need to make all the Virtualization options in the BIOS. 

0 Kudos