VMware Cloud Community
pieter_b
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dell Openmanage 6.3.0 on ESX 4.1 error

hi

I am trying to install Dell Openmanage 6.3.0 (OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-LX-6.3.0-2075.ESX40.i386_A00.11.tar.gz) on my R900 server which has ESX 4.1 installed on it but it fails with the following error:

Error: Check whether the Dell OpenManage media is corrupted.

If you are using the Web pack to install Dell OpenManage,

ensure that you use the Web pack corresponding to the

architecture and operating system on your system.

Anyone got openmanage working on ESX 4.1 ?

thanks

Pieter

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
21 Replies
notorious_bdg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
pieter_b
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did not see that one on the dell site

installed and working

thanks

0 Kudos
jwhitt2010
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How were you able to install this?

I downloaded the file however it is a tar.gz file and the rcli wont reconize it. I then ssh'd into the esxi box ran a wget of the file un tarred it and tried to tun the setup script however that diddnt work either. I did find http://ftp.dell.com/sysman/OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-6.3.0-2075.VIB-ESX41i_A00.8.zip and was able to get that to install, however when i pointed a browser to the ip:1311 i diddnt get anything?

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
pieter_b
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi

download the .tar.gz file from the Dell site

scp it to the ESX server

extract the file (tar -zxvf filename)

run the install script

choose which modules you want to install

start the services

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Well, you need to take care if you have a ESX or ESXi Host where you would like to install OMSA.

First you have to download the right version for your ESXi Host. Software for ESXi comes as a VIB offline bundle!

ESXi 4.0:

ESXi 4.1:

To deploy the software you need a vMA or RCLI:

vihostupdate --server esxi.example.com -i -b OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-6.3.0-2075.VIB-ESX41i_A00.8.zip

For the classic ESX the steps are the same as for a UNIX/Linux installation with the small difference that there is a version for ESX.

ESX 4.0:

ESX 4.1:

Use scp to transfer the files into the COS or place them at your NFS. Needed steps:

su -
mkdir /tmp/openmanage
cd /tmp/openmanage
tar xvzf /path/to/OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-LX-6.3.0-2075.ESX41.i386_A00.12.tar.gz
cd linux/supportscripts/
./srvadmin-install.sh -w -r -s
su -
srvadmin-services.sh start
esxcfg-firewall -o 1311,tcp,in,OpenManage
cd /tmp
rm -rf openmanage/

Regards

Joerg

'Remember if you found this or others answers helpful do not forget to award points by marking an answer as helpful or correct'

0 Kudos
CraigBrisbaneAu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

A great post which helped me out a lot, and helped me to update my doco (Yes...I do document...I know...amazing...hey).

A few extra things required for the Windows Client to do what it needs to do:

Section 1: Install the updated vSphere Client

1. Connect to your Host Server via Internet address.

2. Download the vSphere Client - 'VMware-viclient V4.1.0-258902.exe' - 275Mb

3. Install the vSphere Client

Section 2: Install Dell OpenManage

1. Download and install ‘vSphere CLI’ from VMware website (you will need to create an account in order to login and download the file):

http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vcli/

Most recent at time of this post is: VMware-vSphere-CLI-4.1.0-254719.exe

2. Obtain the Dell OpenManage package for ESXi:

v4.0 OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-6.3.0-2075.VIB-ESX40i_A00.9.zip

v4.1 OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-6.3.0-2075.VIB-ESX41i_A00.8.zip

ESXi 4.0: http://ftp.dell.com/sysman/OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-6.3.0-2075.VIB-ESX40i_A00.9.zip

ESXi 4.1: http://ftp.dell.com/sysman/OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-6.3.0-2075.VIB-ESX41i_A00.8.zip

3. Launch ‘vSphere CLI’ via Start > VMware > VMware vSphere CLI > Command Prompt.

4. A Windows command prompt will appear

5. Type cd bin

6. Type the following:

Vihostupdate.pl --server

(eg: Vihostupdate.pl --server 192.168.0.1 -i -b C:\Temp\OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-6.3.0-2075.VIB-ESX41i_A00.8.zip)

7. The system will prompt for the username ( root - then press enter) and the root password (then press enter). The update will now be applied to the ESXi server. The update will take approx 5mins. (You can view the progress on the vSphere Client screen if you have it open). Once completed, close the command prompt screen and reboot the ESXi server.

8. Once the server has come back from being rebooted, using the vSphere Client, right click on the server which is in (maintenance mode) and choose “Exit Maintenance Mode”.

Section 3: Connect to the server via Server Administrator

1. Download the latest version of Dell Open Manage Server Administrator by entering the following into your web browser:

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?s=biz&c=us&l=en&cs=555&k=managednode%2Cv.6.3.0&cat=sup

and searching for the right package for your needs.

For windows it is:

OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-WIN-6.3.0-2075_A00.20.exe (125Mb)

2. Install Server Administrator

3. Run Server Manager and choose "Manage a Remote Node", connect via IP Address, enter in the root and root password, and ensure "Ignore Certificate Warnings" is ticked.

Hope it all goes well.

Craig

0 Kudos
bhailes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Awesome guide, helped so much to get openmanage onto our hosts, could never get it to work before,

0 Kudos
CraigBrisbaneAu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Happy to help.

It's a minefield when you are trying to do something like this for the first time, and damn frustrating when you try to put it altogether from the tidbits of information that you are able to gather from across the net.

The process was a bit different for getting v4.0 to work, but v4.1 has simplified it by removing some steps.

If anyone is still wanting the outstanding processes for getting Dell Open Manage to work on a v4.0 system, post here and let me know.

Craig

0 Kudos
bhailes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If you have a guide for v4 that would be awesome, we have a few v4 servers left that havent been upgraded and probably wont be for a while atleast,

Cheers in advance

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If you follow my links and download the right package there is no different in the way of installation into a classic ESX between 4.0 and 4.1. We are a Dell shop and have a mixed inviroment of ESX(i) hosts. Main reason for installing Dells OMSA for us is to use NAGIOS and check_openmanage via SSH. The Plugin calls the omreport programm from OMSA and reports all things together with performancedata like fan speed, temperature and voltages and the Memory/RAID status.

Regards

Joerg

'Remember if you found this or others answers helpful do not forget to award points by marking an answer as helpful or correct'

0 Kudos
wb2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I followed your steps and everything seemed to install fine. My only question is with the Dell OpenManage Server Administrator. I have it installed on several physical machines already, but I've never seen a link to "Manage a Remote Node". Is this only with a more enterprise version?

0 Kudos
bhailes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You need to install the web management package,

If you install OpenManage 6.3 on your desktop pc it will install the correct items,

When installed simply browse to <machinename>:1311

replace <machinename> with your pc name

Once there enter the server name

enter the user name and password that is on the ESX box

Check ignore certficate warnings

Click OK

and you should be logged into the openmanage bit of the esx host

0 Kudos
mgibson85
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Joerg,

Firstly, thanks for the informative post regarding openmanage 6.3.0 on ESX 4.1

I have previously updated the VIB's on an esxi server using the vihostupdate commands but now have a new server with full ESX and need it setting up.

I've followed your instructions as below:

su -

mkdir /tmp/openmanage

cd /tmp/openmanage

tar xvzf /path/to/OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-LX-6.3.0-2075.ESX41.i386_A00.12.tar.gz

cd linux/supportscripts/

./srvadmin-install.sh -w -r -s

su -

srvadmin-services.sh start

esxcfg-firewall -o 1311,tcp,in,OpenManage

cd /tmp

rm -rf openmanage/

However, I used the lwp-download http://ftp.dell.com/sysman/OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-LX-6.3.0-2075.ESX41.i386_A00.12.tar.gz statement to install.

The install went ok, services started fine but I'm unable to access the server using the openmanage.

I login with my credentials and ignore the cert, and receive Login failed....Internal Error.

I've fully restarted the server just in case it was required but still no joy.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Mark

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello Mark,

be sure that you use your "root" credentials of the ESX for the login and not your normal VIC credentials. Did you run ESX Lockdown? Otherwise its hard to find where the problem is. I never think about if there are some logs or similar where OMSA logs stuff.

Did you get usefull output when running "omreport system version" from the command line?

Regards

Joerg

0 Kudos
LucasAlbers
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It was a pain to figure this out when 4.0 GA came out.

Someone should post a community doc on how to do this, as this question comes up every two weeks.

Two items I didn't notice if they had been pointed out.

You have to have a root password set to be able to login to openmanage, it won't work with a blank password.

On esxi you also need to set the uservars, I have always had to install it, reboot, and then set the oem uservar and then reboot.

Occasionally you will do everything correct, and you still get the error : "An internal error has occurred."

In this case recheck that you did all the necessary steps. Then you can sometimes fix the problem by uninstalling using esxupdate and then reinstalling.

Of 3 hosts that had this problem I was able to fix 2 by reinstalling the vib.

0 Kudos
mgibson85
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi guys,

Thank you for the prompt replies.

I am indeed using the root credentials and installed it via ssh.

I changed PermitRootLogin from “no” to “yes” using the command vi /etc/ssh/sshd_config assuming using SSH would be pretty much sitting in front of the server.

I haven't ran ESX lockdown mode either.

I will uninstall then re-install but on the server itself to see if this makes any difference and feedback.

Thanks,

Mark.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello Mark,

if youre using IE please take a look to the security zone and change it to something like "Intranet" or "trusted sites". If you like we can setup a webbex or Teamviewer session and i can take a look into. Sometimes 4 eyes can see more than just 2 Smiley Wink

Regards

Joerg

0 Kudos
mgibson85
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Altix,

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling using your sequence but no joy.

I noticed a setup.sh in the main folder and simply ran this, installed all options and started the services.

It seemed to have done the trick so I'm all up and running now.

I'm guessing the sequence in setup.sh calls srvadmin-install.sh anyway (without looking at the script) so I'm not sure...

For anyone else having issues, try running setup.sh once you have done the tar xvzf /path/to/OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-LX-6.3.0-2075.ESX41.i386_A00.12.tar.gz

Thanks,

Mark.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Dell have release Version 6.4 of the Dell Server Administrator. The have updated packages for ESX 4.0/4.1 and ESXi 4.0/4.1. For Downloading look into the FTP repository under ftp://ftp.dell.com/sysman/ and search for "ESX4".

Regards

Joerg

0 Kudos