VMware Cloud Community
Box293
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dell OpenManage + ESXi + SNMP Get + OpenManage Server Administrator Managed Node

With ESXi the Dell OpenManage stuff doesn't work like it used to with ESX. Before I used to be able to install OpenManage on an ESX host and then browse to and view the hardware status etc.

Additionally when SNMP was configured correctly I was able to use Nagios to query the ESX host using SNMP to get OpenManage status on components.

This seems to have changed with ESXi not supporting set and get SNMP operations.

This link lists the steps required to configure SNMP on an ESXi host. It also has the following statement:

Server Administrator supports SNMP traps on VMware ESXi but does not support SNMP Get and Set operations because VMware ESXi does not provide the required SNMP support.

I do understand how to install the "Dell OpenManage Offline Bundle and VIB for ESXi". Once this is installed I then go to a Windows server that has the "Dell OpenManage Server Administrator Managed Node" (). At this web logon I put the logon details to the ESXi server and then I can view OpenManage just like I did before.

Is there a way to use this "Dell OpenManage Server Administrator Managed Node" server to send an SNMP get request to and in turn it communicates to the ESXi server and then returns the information to me?

VCP3 & VCP4 32846

VSP4

VTSP4

VCP3 & VCP4 32846 VSP4 VTSP4
0 Kudos
1 Reply
ABusch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nobody found a solution for that problem? I now exactly have the same Situation.

Thanks

Alex

0 Kudos