VMware Cloud Community
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dell OMSA port access

Hello,

Installed Dell OMSA (latest version) on ESXi 7.02.  I can't directly access the webpage (OMSA) of the host , example https:\\myipaddress:1311.  Already rebooted the host after installation.

Do I need to install the Windows OS and manage from there?  I remember years ago I was able to do it directly onto the ESXi host.  I checked the CIM Server service is running.

Thanks,

TT

0 Kudos
6 Replies
8islas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi;

I have always installed Dell EMC OpenManage Server Administrator Managed Node for Windows. (two steps process)

Dell OpenManage Server Administrator (OMSA) provides a comprehensive one-to-one system management solution in two ways:
1) From an integrated web browser-based graphical user interface (GUI)
2) From a command line interface (CLI) via of the operating system.

Check which version you have installed on ESXI, is recomended the same version.

esxcli software vib list | grep -openmanage

Once installed, you can connect to the agent on esxi via web from the Windows machine.

8islas_0-1653595029178.png

Simply put ESXi IP address, root and password.

NOTE:  On esxi runs the "agent" but you need this tools on a Windows machine

I haven't seen that in years. ESXi no longer has a service console for a long time and therefore such software cannot be installed. Now it's all vibs and plugins. In the particular case of Dell OMSA, they need a remote administration machine where to install all these tools.

Hope it helps.

0 Kudos
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was hoping to not have to install a Windows Machine.  I want to hit the VMware host with the port like I used to do.

0 Kudos
8islas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm sorry, but this is no longer possible.

Regards.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

This was only possible with OMSA on ESX and not ESXi. The OMSA for ESXi is "lightweight" and you need a proxy (OMSA on a Linux/Windows) to access it. The OMSA for ESXi is also needed when you would like to use OpenManage for VMware vCenter.

Note:
With iDRAC7 and up the iDRAC have more more insight into the HW and Dell also added RAID Controller and Disks to it. I found OMSA less important these days.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses.

0 Kudos
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can someone confirm that if the temporary license on the ESXi host already expired, it won't allow me connect from the Windows machine (time out)?  I installed the vib  v 10.1.0.0) on ESXi 7 update 2.

On ESXi 7 update 3, it works but the host license is still active.

Thanks,

TT

0 Kudos