VMware Cloud Community
lsmith254
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dell Images and Updates

Hi All,

Question - I have eSXI 6.7 on a Dell host. For security reasons, I am patching in-between Dell releasing image updates. So technically, I am running the current version of eSXI. Now Dell has released a new image, which I would like to apply for driver support. My question is whether there is any problem with installing the image from Dell because technically, it an older version than what I am running now - I am at 6.7.0 Update 3 (Build 16713306) and the Dell image is at  ESXi 6.7 U3 Dell Version: A05, Build# 16075168.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm not sure about the interactive update, so I can't tell you what will happen. However, I assume it will just update - i.e. not downgrade - installed components.

Which Dell image did you use the last time? Was it already an Update 3 image?

What may be an option for now is to check what the update will do.

To do this (this can be done online with the VMs powered on):

1. download the appropriate Dell Offline Bundle (.zip file)
  2. upload it to a folder on a datastore
  3. run the following commands from the ESXi host's command line
    esxcli software sources profile list -d /vmfs/volumes/datastore/folder/offline-bundle.zip
    esxcli software profile update -d /vmfs/volumes/datastore/folder/offline-bundle.zip -p <profilename> --dry-run

Based on the last command's output, you can then decide whether you want to command again without the "--dry-run" option, followed by the "reboot" command if the update succeeded.

Running the command without "--dry-run" will of course require that the VMs have been shut down.

André

Edited: Changed "install" to "update" for the esxcli command!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

How are you patching the host(s)? From the command line using esxcli, or using VUM? In both cases you should be able to update the newer build with the Dell Offline Bundle.

From the command line run e.g.

esxcli software profile update -d /some-location/bundle.zip -p profilename --dry-run

(Note: --dry-run will shw you what's going to happen, without actually doing anything)

Using VUM, upload the offline bundle to VUM, and add its contents to your update baseline, which already includes the latest installed patches.

André

0 Kudos
lsmith254
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I typically just use ISO to install the Dell Image. In between, I use vCenter update manager.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm not sure about the interactive update, so I can't tell you what will happen. However, I assume it will just update - i.e. not downgrade - installed components.

Which Dell image did you use the last time? Was it already an Update 3 image?

What may be an option for now is to check what the update will do.

To do this (this can be done online with the VMs powered on):

1. download the appropriate Dell Offline Bundle (.zip file)
  2. upload it to a folder on a datastore
  3. run the following commands from the ESXi host's command line
    esxcli software sources profile list -d /vmfs/volumes/datastore/folder/offline-bundle.zip
    esxcli software profile update -d /vmfs/volumes/datastore/folder/offline-bundle.zip -p <profilename> --dry-run

Based on the last command's output, you can then decide whether you want to command again without the "--dry-run" option, followed by the "reboot" command if the update succeeded.

Running the command without "--dry-run" will of course require that the VMs have been shut down.

André

Edited: Changed "install" to "update" for the esxcli command!

0 Kudos
lsmith254
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi yes, it was the previous released Dell Update 3 image from February. I will run those commands and see what happens.

I guess my bigger question here is what is the correct way to be doing this? Dell takes so long to upgrade and release images, and when critical updates come out, from a compliance perspective, we cannot just ignore them and wait 4 month for Dell. Is it wrong that we are patching in between Dell releasing their images? Thanks.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hmm....

you're on 6.7.0 Update 3 (Build 16713306) and want do downgrade to 16075168 by using a Dell Custom ISO?

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Is it wrong that we are patching in between Dell releasing their images?

Not at all. Vendors usually support VMware patches within the same "Update" version, which shouldn't cause any issues.

So with the commands I provided, the most that should show up as to be installed may be some vendor specific add-ons/drivers (if any at all).

André

0 Kudos
lsmith254
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ah ha...so it should be "smart enough" to see that I have the more current versions in place and only update what is needed - the drivers.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, that's how it works.

Important: Please note that I accidentally posted the wrong command line option in my previous reply ("install" instead of "update"). I just modified this!

André

lsmith254
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It is not that I want to downgrade, but Dell is always behind when they release their images with updated drivers.

0 Kudos
lsmith254
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Andre. Much appreciated.

0 Kudos