VMware Cloud Community
gymiv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Delete esxi disk

I have esxi installed on a usb drive that i use to boot my server. I am trying to do a disaster recovery test to see what would happen if the usb drive died on the server. ESXI 5 seems to load in memory and run fine when i pull out the USB drive from the server. I want to simulate reinstalling it on the usb drive recovering all the lun's when i reboot. However when i try to format the usb drive i am not able to. Windows disk management shows it to be a fat32 partition but keeps coming up and saying cannot find the file when i try to format it. How do i format the usb drive with esxi 5 on it? I have tried every method i know.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ranjitcool
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Sounds like a windows thing,

however, if it bugs me I would manually go into the usb and delete all files - then issue the format command - may be also try formatting in ntfs and then reformat in fat32.

R

Please award points if you find my answers helpful Thanks RJ Visit www.rjapproves.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ranjitcool
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Sounds like a windows thing,

however, if it bugs me I would manually go into the usb and delete all files - then issue the format command - may be also try formatting in ntfs and then reformat in fat32.

R

Please award points if you find my answers helpful Thanks RJ Visit www.rjapproves.com
0 Kudos
gymiv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i used a usb delete tool. When i ran it came up and said invalid disk then window forman came up and said it could not read the drive you have to format it. Then windows formatted the disk. Weird but it worked. Thanks.

0 Kudos
ranjitcool
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks for the update!

0 Kudos