VMware Cloud Community
tikitiboo
Contributor
Contributor

Delete a virtual Server & allocate memory & cpu for other VMs

HI All,

This might sounds very simple to you all , But I am quite new to VMWARE!

I have a server which runs on VMware ESX 4.1. There are 04 VM machines runs on it.

All 04 servers are live/production Web servers (linux - cpanel, ubuntu)

16GB memory is shared in between (4GB each) VMs.

12 x 2.69 GHz processor power shared between 04 VMs (5.3 GHz)

I  been monitoring VMs & i can see now that the VMs consumes almost  all memory allocated to them all the time but not the CPU (Usage is very  low - total = 500 MHz).

And recently 02 times I got crashed the php.ini file on 02 web servers, & I think its because of the memory bottle neck!

Well  one of the VMs I use there only for testing & would like to delete  that machine & allocate that cpu/memory to other machines.

Is this practicle? Will there be any implecations of changing Memory/CPU allocation of a live VM (Linux Web server) ?

Or If we add any additonal physical memory I hope we can just allocate those by editing the machine properties???

Appreciate in advance for your advice.

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

If you delete a guest from your virtual infrastructure the resources that were allocated to the guest will be recovered.  If you add more physical resources to the hardware, those resources will be available to distribute out to your guest(s)

0 Kudos
tikitiboo
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry what you really meant by "If you delete a guest from your virtual infrastructure the resources that were allocated to the guest will be recovered." ?

Mnay thanks

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

tikitiboo wrote:

Sorry what you really meant by "If you delete a guest from your virtual infrastructure the resources that were allocated to the guest will be recovered." ?

Mnay thanks

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say.  Deleting a guest removes all resources that were allocated to that guest.

0 Kudos
tikitiboo
Contributor
Contributor

I see, So I can add those to other Guests right?

And hope there are no implications adding relesed memory to other guest (these are live web servers) ??

Kind regards

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

hot adding resources is possible, as long as the guest OS supports it. Also, in order to hot add resources you must first configure it while the guest is powered down.... Edit Setting of the guest (or template) Options Tab--Memory/CPU Hotplug

0 Kudos
tikitiboo
Contributor
Contributor

Oh thank you mate.

Another question!

For a Virtual Machines, I allocated 3.5 GB.

In the VM summery it says

Host Memory consumed : 3.35

Guest Memory comsumed : 245 MB

Does this mean this VM need more memory?

There are like 50 websites running on this server.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

tikitiboo wrote:

For a Virtual Machines, I allocated 3.5 GB.

In the VM summery it says

Host Memory consumed : 3.35

Guest Memory comsumed : 245 MB

Does this mean this VM need more memory?

There are like 50 websites running on this server.

Thanks

no, looks like your guest is doing just fine.  The below article may help as well

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1002604

0 Kudos