VMware Cloud Community
robp1969
Contributor
Contributor

Delete VMFS and install Windows 7 problem

Hello - sorry if this has been answered elsewhere! The toddler is screaming and I have still not fixed this little problem on an HP ML115 local disk.

I have ESXi running on USB key and built the first datastore on the bundled 160GB disk.

No that I have a couple of new disks I want to remove the VMFS from the 160GB disk and install Windows 7 64-bit.

I used FDISK on an SSH session and deleted the partition, then attempted to create an NTFS partition.

Upon booting the DVD I noticed that the BIOS no longer detects the disk, and the installer tells me a driver is missing so can't continue.

Can anyone tell me the best way to fix the disk please?

I'm happy to use VMware fdisk or create a Linux boot CD if required to run gparted if that would be better.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

My personal approach would be to boot into a gParted Livecd and look at the partition scheme there and make changes as needed in this case.

If you found this at all helpful please award points by using the correct or helpful buttons! Thanks!

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
mjpagan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Your issue is that Windows can't see the linux type partitions. You'll need to use a partition utility like gParted or PartedMagic (like ) recommended or delete the LUN from the RAID card and recreate.

Mike P

MCSE, VCP3/4

Mike Pagán MCITP:EA, MCSE, VCAP5-DCA, VCAP5-DCD,VCP 5, VCP5-DT, CCNA, A+
0 Kudos
robp1969
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

Gparted now downloading - hopefully that'll make a better go of it than my fdisk attempts....

Rob

0 Kudos