VMware Cloud Community
mqzd23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Delete ESXi host configuration export

In the article below you can read a howto on how to export and back up ESXi host configuration which involves creating the export and downloading it from the ESXi host.
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2042141

The export is not password protected and available for anyone to download (granted, the URL must be known). I would like to know where this export is stored on the ESXi server so I can delete it. I've tried to locate the 'downloads' folder on the ESXi host but wasn't able to find it. Please tell me where to find this folder. Also, maybe update the article to include deleting the export. It should be a mandatory routine in my opinion.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The URL contains a random string which is different every time you run the backup command.

The backups are stored within the .locker -> downloads directory and in my case they are deleted automatically after some time.  Use the find command to search for the filename shortly after you have created the backup.

Regards,
Joerg

View solution in original post

2 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The URL contains a random string which is different every time you run the backup command.

The backups are stored within the .locker -> downloads directory and in my case they are deleted automatically after some time.  Use the find command to search for the filename shortly after you have created the backup.

Regards,
Joerg

mqzd23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes they seem to be automatically deleted on my server too. Thank you for the info. 

0 Kudos