VMware Cloud Community
PS3ALI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Delete Disk SAN from VM accidentaly

hello ,

I have deleted accidentaly a vm disk .the disk was attached to SAN storage equipement .we dont backup this VM .

is there a way to recover this disk?

ihave Vmware 5.5

Regards

0 Kudos
5 Replies
tayfundeger
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you have deleted the virtual machine with the Delete from disk option, unfortunately there is no way to recover it from VMware. To do this, you need to do data recovery. The following KB will help. You're sure the virtual machine has been deleted, right? Did you check the virtual machine files in the datastore? Is it completely deleted?

VMware Knowledge Base

Thanks.

--
Blog: https://www.tayfundeger.com
Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/tayfundeger

vBlogger, vExpert, Cisco Champions

Please, if this solution helped your problem, "Helpful" if it solves your problem "Correct Answer" to mark.
0 Kudos
PS3ALI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello ,

i dont delete the VM but just the Disk .i see the Disk in the datastore but i can not reimport it .the disk has 8T

this disk was in Physical RDM type and i convert it to Virtual RDM .after that i can not reimport it

Regards

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

How exactly did you "convert" the RDM?

Can you confirm that the RDM's mapping file is stored on a VMFS5 datastore (i.e. not on VMFS3)?

André

PS: VMFS5 datastores which have been upgradeed from VMFS3 still have a file size limitation.

0 Kudos
PS3ALI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello ,

I convert the RDM from physical to Virtual from web sphere client , i choose the the RDM disk to virtual

yes the RDM mapping file is stored on a VMFS 5.6 datastore ( 8T )

Any idea?

Regards

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I convert the RDM from physical to Virtual from web sphere client ...

Sorry, but I'm not aware of a GUI option to convert an RDM from physical to virtual mode.

The way how this is usually done is:

• remove the physical RDM from the VM's setting, selecting the "Delete from disk" option (this will only delete the RDM mapping file, but leave the raw LUN as is)
  • add the raw LUN to a VM, selecting the virtual RDM mode option

Is it this what you've done?

When you say you can't "reimport" the disk, please clarify what you do, and if you see any error messages, or warnings. Maybe some screenshots will help.

André

0 Kudos