VMware Cloud Community
Enrico_emilio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Decoupling VMNICs

Hello,

I am working on a HP Proliant server and I need to decoupling its two NIC. First NIC for managing the VM kernel and second NIC to be associated to a Unix Virtual machine and connected to another physical LAN.

Sounds very easy but it seems not applicapble. I am sure my experience on Vsphere is very low Smiley Sad

ESXi 6.0.0

Thanks in advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What you basically need to do is to create another vSwitch with uplinks (vmnics) to the separate physical switch. Then create a port group on this new vSwitch and connect the VM to it.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What you basically need to do is to create another vSwitch with uplinks (vmnics) to the separate physical switch. Then create a port group on this new vSwitch and connect the VM to it.

André

0 Kudos
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Create two vSwitch. One for management network for ESXi with an uplink, vmnic0 connecting to one physical switch.

Second vSwitch with a VM port-group for UNIX machine, with the second uplink, vmnic1 connecting to the other physical switch.

Suhas

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

Enrico_emilio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your answers.

Now I created a new virtual switch. On the 'Unified networking lab' assigned Nic1. This VM has a static Ip assigned on first boot up.

The strange thing is that when the machine is UP at a further bootI do not see any ethernet interface, only loopback address 127.0.0.1.

Please notice that the picture shows the nic down because it is referred at VM shut down.

Then something does not work still. Smiley Sad

Thanks

0 Kudos
Enrico_emilio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I solved the issue, it was a problem of the virtual machine. Thanks.

0 Kudos