VMware Cloud Community
dr_nuke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Debian Squeeze guest idenfication

I've imported a Debian Squeeze 32-bit guest to ESXI 5.1.

Using vSphere Client 5.1 Build 941893, I do not have Debian 6 (squeeze) as an available guest OS. 

(For the mean time I've used Linux Other Guest 32-bit but would like to use Debian 6 32-bit.)

I've seen Debian 6 32-bit as an option on some screen shots from people who have set up Debian Squeeze as a guest OS but that option isn't available in the vSphere Client drop down. 

Why or where would this option be hiding in the dialog box?  I have Debian 5, 4 as available options.

Can this be done manually via the CLI?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AKostur
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Check my answer again about where I'd stated that I had to upgrade the VM hardware before Deb 6 showed up as an option.  Shut down the VM, right-click on it, Upgrade Virtual Hardware.

Do be sure to check that your guest OS will support the newer virtual hardware configuration.  Since you have a 3rd party VMware Tools installed, this seems to suggest that your guest is some sort of prepackaged VM from somewhere else....

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AKostur
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Really?  I've got vSphere Client v5.1.0 build 786111 and I've got it.  Actually, just checking one of my machines,  if it's got hardware rev 7, it didn't show me Debian 6.  I upgraded the VM hardware to vmx-09, and now it shows Debian 6.

However.. VMware... Debian 7 has been released... hint, hint Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
nielse
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You say you are using that specific client but is your vCenter and ESXi host running on 5.1 ?

@nielsengelen - http://foonet.be - VCP4/5
0 Kudos
dr_nuke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for your help.  I'm a newbie so I'm not sure I understood exactly what you mean.  I'm not sure where to look to answer those questions.  So here is what I can find so far. 

I have vSphere Client 5.1 Build 941893. VMware ESXI 5.1.0 1021289 is shown in the top level of the vsphere client.  Image Profile in the Summary tab shows ESXI-5.1.0 799733-standard.  I don't know why they are different.

In the guest image it says VM Version: 7.  It also shows VMWare Tools: Running (3rd party/Independent).  I have no idea how to update this or what the Running (3rd-party/Independent) is supposed to mean.  I did try to install VMWare tools but it seems to run and run without actually completing.  It's been 20 min. already.

As you can tell, I'm a bit confused.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
AKostur
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Check my answer again about where I'd stated that I had to upgrade the VM hardware before Deb 6 showed up as an option.  Shut down the VM, right-click on it, Upgrade Virtual Hardware.

Do be sure to check that your guest OS will support the newer virtual hardware configuration.  Since you have a 3rd party VMware Tools installed, this seems to suggest that your guest is some sort of prepackaged VM from somewhere else....

0 Kudos
dr_nuke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks.  I can see it now and have updated to vmx-09.  Now I can set Debian 6.

I too hope that this is updated soon to allow the new stable Debian 7!!

[Yes.  This is a Turnkey-Linux appliance.  I'm trying to figure out what they have installed so I can updated the tools properly.]

Message was edited by: dr_nuke Added a comment re third party tools.

0 Kudos