VMware Cloud Community
sweehan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Dead path on one of the fibre connection

Recently there are two ESXi 6 host install and been added to a new Vcenter 6 and connected to a new HP 3PAR storage. Each ESXi host have two single port fibre cards. One of the ESXi host server delivered with a missing SFP adapter. Both server fibre have been added to to the HP 3par storage host profile. After receive the missing adapter from the vendor, it was installed to the available fibre card slot and i check the path connection on HP 3par and vmware.

I found the recently install SFP connection have a dead path. Is there anyway to clear that dead path?dead path1.JPG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichardBush
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

have you restarted the host and rescanned since you added the new SFP. It looks like something was presented on target 2, faulty sfp ?

Did you have any filesystems on Lun 254 ? can you list them out (esxcli storage filesystem list) look for any unmounted.

Let me know the above info.

R

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RichardBush
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

have you restarted the host and rescanned since you added the new SFP. It looks like something was presented on target 2, faulty sfp ?

Did you have any filesystems on Lun 254 ? can you list them out (esxcli storage filesystem list) look for any unmounted.

Let me know the above info.

R

0 Kudos
sweehan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have not restart the host, but i have re scan the datastore but still the same. I have only present one virtual disk from the datastore to the host. The datastore tab for that host only have 1 local datatsore and 1 datastore from 3par.

I will try to check from the cli command

0 Kudos
sweehan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I did a reboot during lunch hour. After reboot, the dead path is gone.

0 Kudos
impranayk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try rescanning HBA should remove Dead paths, or Restart mgmt service at ESXi host.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow me @ www.vmwareinsight.com
Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful

Pranay Jha | Blog: http://vmwareinsight.com
vExpert 2016/2017, VCAP5-DCD/DCA, VCP5-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCE-CIA, MCSE, MCITP
0 Kudos