VMware Cloud Community
InflxxEC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Date and Time are Red?

Hi,

I just installed some brand new hosts and after setting the Time Configuration the Date and Time are in Red even though it says "Running" Attached is the error.

Any help would be great fixing this.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DZelenak
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is your NTP server configured? Can your hosts communicate with the NTP server?

The last time I saw this there was a large skew (hours, not minutes) between the time of the machine running the VI client and the hosts. Turned out we had an issue with NTP configuration. Once we enabled NTP and it synced it went back to being black. It did take a while, maybe 5 minutes or so, for the VI client to recognise the time on the host had updated though. An SSH to the server quickly determined the clock was corrected pretty much as soon as the NTP issue was resolved.

One other possibility is that the clock on your machine running the VI client is wrong.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DZelenak
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is your NTP server configured? Can your hosts communicate with the NTP server?

The last time I saw this there was a large skew (hours, not minutes) between the time of the machine running the VI client and the hosts. Turned out we had an issue with NTP configuration. Once we enabled NTP and it synced it went back to being black. It did take a while, maybe 5 minutes or so, for the VI client to recognise the time on the host had updated though. An SSH to the server quickly determined the clock was corrected pretty much as soon as the NTP issue was resolved.

One other possibility is that the clock on your machine running the VI client is wrong.

0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

It is indeed a massive time difference between the host and the computer running the vSphere client. Check your NTP / time configuration.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You may also want to take a look at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1035833 to see whether this applies. One more important thing to keep in mind, do not synchronize an ESXi host's time with a virtual machine running on this host (and vice versa).

André

0 Kudos
masudhussain
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Lets clarify my query.

1. is there any NTP server setup you have done in host to sync time.

2. if NTP setup done in host to sync time , please confirm whthr the ports are reachable from host to NTP server and also the ip address is resolving from your host of FQDN (if using fqdn in place of NTP server details in host)

0 Kudos
InflxxEC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the posts. It looks like the client machine time was way off. Everything seems to be good now.

Thanks.

0 Kudos