VMware Cloud Community
aiea96701
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Datastores not visible

I have 3 Esxi 6.7 hosts on Essentials Plus licensing. Using standard switche. All connextend to shared NAS storage.

only one of the three hosts successfully connects via iSCSI own connection. The other two esxi 6.7 hosts cannot connect To the same NAS datastore. . All host configured identically

what may be wrong?  Why does only one host connect to the NAS while other two will not.

vCenter 6.7 connects successfully to NAS DATASTORE

0 Kudos
12 Replies
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Are the ESXi hosts in the same network?
Can you ping the NAS server from the esxi hosts?
HAve you tried mounting the NAS from CLI?
Manage a NAS File System with ESXCLI

List all known NAS file systems.

esxcli <conn_options> storage nfs list

For each NAS file system, the command lists the mount name, share name, and host name and whether the file system is mounted. If no NAS file systems are available, the system does not return a NAS filesystem and returns to the command prompt.

Add a new NAS file system to the ESXi host.

Specify the NAS server with --host, the volume to use for the mount with --volume-name, and the share name on the remote system to use for this NAS mount point with --share.

esxcli <conn_options> storage nfs add --host=dir42.eng.vmware.com --share=/<mount_dir> --volume-name=nfsstore-dir42

This command adds an entry to the known NAS file system list and supplies the share name of the new NAS file system. You must supply the host name, share name, and volume name for the new NAS file system.

Add a second NAS file system with read-only access.

esxcli <conn_options> storage nfs add --host=dir42.eng.vmware.com --share=/home --volume-name=FileServerHome2 --readonly

Delete one of the NAS file systems.

esxcli <conn_options> storage nfs remove --volume-name=FileServerHome2

This command unmounts the NAS file system and removes it from the list of known file systems.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What happens when they “cannot connect”?

What sort of errors do you get?

What troubleshooting have you tried?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

• Pool used to store the NAS server's configuration data, such as anti-virus configurations, NDMP settings, network Interfaces, and IP addresses.
0 Kudos
aiea96701
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes. All check fine. Pings ok

0 Kudos
aiea96701
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No errors. Just cannot view the DATASTORE on the two ESXi hosts. it is like the DATASTORE is not presented to the two hosts...but was presented and allowed to connect to only the one ESXi host. Cannot understand why that is happenin. VCenter also see’s the datastore

0 Kudos
aiea96701
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

have Tested the network connection to/from NAS and the two hosts. That is fine. Uplinks and Venice in the green. ISCSI iqn appears fine. Just No Datastore even appears when trying to connect to existing storage

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Is it possible that the datastore is configured via NFS instead of iSCSI?
Then you can try this:
Mount NFS share to multiple ESXi hosts | vGeek - Tales from real IT system Administration environmen...

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Some things to verify:

• are the iSCSI LUNs presented to the ESXi hosts (initiators) from the storage side?
  • in case you configured Jumbo Frames (MTU 9000), ensure that it is configured end-to-end, i.e. on the Storage, the physical switch, the virtual switch, and on the iSCSI port group
  • verify the iSCSI target settings on the ESXi hosts (Dynamic/Static targets)
  • do you see the iSCSI LUNs when you select the hosts' iSCSI Storage Adapter

André

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Search for a checkbox like "access multible iqn"  I have seen more than one iSCSI stroage which have such a inbuild protection.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
aiea96701
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ConfirmEd with our storage admin. Configured iscsi

0 Kudos
KeithMiyatake
Contributor
Contributor

• are the iSCSI LUNs presented to the ESXi hosts (initiators) from the storage side? - I am advised by the storage admin that they are presented properly
  • in case you configured Jumbo Frames (MTU 9000), ensure that it is configured end-to-end, i.e. on the Storage, the physical switch, the virtual switch, and on the iSCSI port group  - yes

verify the iSCSI target settings on the ESXi hosts (Dynamic/Static targets)-  verified.  in fact, all hosts display the iqn but the datastore is not listed on some

• do you see the iSCSI LUNs when you select the hosts' iSCSI Storage Adapter - no
0 Kudos
KeithMiyatake
Contributor
Contributor

where would I locate this setting?

0 Kudos