VMware Cloud Community
ChrisJ615
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Datastore usage on disk: What is the ratio?

So on a few of my servers I have a warning flag about the datastore usage on disk. I have one datastore that is 99.50G, 80.43 Provisioned, and 19.07 free. My question is what is the Capacity:Free Space ratio?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a2alpha
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

From a performance point of view, I'm not too sure, I would say it depends more on the IOPS occuring on your storage rather than the actual space taken up.

From an thin / thick provisioned point of view if you thin provision over the total amount you have available you would need to check to make sure you are not coming close to going over the actual space available.

From just a normal datastore, we normally factor in between 20 - 25% free to take into account snapshots being open during backups / replications, (or being left open if someone has forgotten about them!)

Hope this helps,

Dan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a2alpha
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I'm not sure I follow the question. The capacity: free space would be 99.5:19.07

Are you wanting to know the recommended capacity to free space ratio?

The warning flag on datastore usage has been triggered because 19.07 / 99.5 give 19% free. The threshold for warning is 80% used by default and 90% for critical.

If you can let me know some more detail, i'll try and help,

Dan

0 Kudos
ChrisJ615
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick reply and sorry for the poorly worded question. As you said: What is the recommended capacity to free space ratio?

0 Kudos
a2alpha
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

From a performance point of view, I'm not too sure, I would say it depends more on the IOPS occuring on your storage rather than the actual space taken up.

From an thin / thick provisioned point of view if you thin provision over the total amount you have available you would need to check to make sure you are not coming close to going over the actual space available.

From just a normal datastore, we normally factor in between 20 - 25% free to take into account snapshots being open during backups / replications, (or being left open if someone has forgotten about them!)

Hope this helps,

Dan

0 Kudos
ChrisJ615
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Dan!

0 Kudos