VMware Cloud Community
bbowman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Datastore size is smaller than virtual disk

Just deployed a fresh installation of ESXI 4.1 rev3 on a new Dell PE R520 server with 4 1gb disks configured in a single RAID5 array.  When I log in with vSphere and go to Configuration>Storage it shows the data store being just 740gb.  However when I go to Storage Adapters and select the vmhba it shows the full 2.73tb of the RAID array that I need to use.  Nowhere did I choose 740gb for the size of the datastore so I'm not sure how it was brought to this size.  If I try deleting and recreating it 740gb is the maximum I can create.

What am I doing wrong and how can I create a datastore that is using all 2.73tb?  Screen captures are attached.

thanks in advance,

Ben

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESXi 4 doesn't support LUNs > 2TB.  Any increment over a multiple of 2TB is what you will see (e.g. 2.73 TB - 2 TB = .73 TB ~= 740 GB you see).

But the real question is why are you installing a 3 year old version of the hypervisor?

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

First, ESXi does not support beyond 2Tb. For having only 730GB of datastore, it could be because of block size you are using.

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESXi 4 doesn't support LUNs > 2TB.  Any increment over a multiple of 2TB is what you will see (e.g. 2.73 TB - 2 TB = .73 TB ~= 740 GB you see).

But the real question is why are you installing a 3 year old version of the hypervisor?

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
bbowman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ah, makes sense, thank you.

0 Kudos