VMware Cloud Community
TNavy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Datastore size/LUN size

I know in ESX 4.1 there is a 2TB limit on the datastore or what vCenter would/could see.  What is the limitation for ESXi 5.0? Is it still 2TB or has it grown?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I don't want to split hairs, but there's a difference between LUN size and datastore size.

The supported LUN size changed from ~2TB in ESXi 4.x to 64TB in ESXi 5.0. However, it is possible with ESXi 4.x to create a volume/datastore consisting of 32 extents (32 LUNs of ~2TB) which results in the max. volume size of 64TB minus 16kB.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

64TB for ESXi5

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

to add yes the datastore size is 64 TB but the vMDK file size is still capped at 2 TB -512 B

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I don't want to split hairs, but there's a difference between LUN size and datastore size.

The supported LUN size changed from ~2TB in ESXi 4.x to 64TB in ESXi 5.0. However, it is possible with ESXi 4.x to create a volume/datastore consisting of 32 extents (32 LUNs of ~2TB) which results in the max. volume size of 64TB minus 16kB.

André

0 Kudos
TNavy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So if I created a 4 TB LUN, then the ESXi 5.0 datastore should see 4 TB and not 1.99 TB? Is this correct?

Thanks

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It should see the LUN as 4TB.  The datastore may be different (you might have formatted it to use only 1.99TB, etc).

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
TNavy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you all for the information you have given.  This really helped.

0 Kudos