VMware Cloud Community
JohnnyNeckU
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Datastore show only 40GB

Hi Guys,

I've just installed vSphere ESXi 4.1.0 Update 1 on our new Dell PE R710 which include 2 TB of Disk Space.

But here's my problem : When I go in the vSphere Client and take a look on the Datastore size, It show only 40GB. I've reinstalled it and got the same result.

I'd like to know or to avoir this because it's the firt time à I face that kind of problem and of course, of to fix this?

Best Regards,

Johnny

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMFS maximum is 2TB-512KB per LUN. Anything more than that it would go crazy. I would advise splitting your LUN to 1TB each and you would not have any problem accessing and formatting your datastore.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMFS maximum is 2TB-512KB per LUN. Anything more than that it would go crazy. I would advise splitting your LUN to 1TB each and you would not have any problem accessing and formatting your datastore.

0 Kudos
piaroa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Like the other poster has said, there is a 2TB limitation for VMFS vols. Just provision it a tad smaller, say 1.9TB, or split it into smaller datastores.

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!
JohnnyNeckU
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hmmmm, so more than 2TB isn't supported by ESXi right?

The fact is my server is a standalone with local disks. 6 x 450 Gb 15k RPM - RAID-5.

Do you recommend me to make 2 RAID-5 (2 x 3 x 450GB) or a RAID-5 (5 x 450 GB) with 1 hotspare ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
JohnnyNeckU
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is it possible to install the OS on a small partition and put all VMs on the biggest partition?

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you could got for raid 6 as your second suggestion if you prefer better protection in terms of disk failure. another way is to use your current raid group but with 2 LUNs in it.

0 Kudos
piaroa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I would go with RAID-5 (5 x 450 GB) with 1 hotspare.

Create 2 LUNs, one for the OS, with 6-8GB should be more than enough, and the other LUN with the rest of the space for the big 1.8GB aprox volume.

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!
0 Kudos
ddouthitt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have virtually the exact same problem as the original poster - but the responses leave me confused.

The array is 2.04Tb in my case (on an R710) - and several of the responses said that the limit is 2Tb per LUN. I don't see where the 40GB limit comes from: 2Tb = 2048Gb --> 2048Gb - 40Gb = 2008Gb unaccounted for.

Some answers have stated "create two LUNs of 1Gb" ...how exactly is this done?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Communities.

You will need to go into the Array configuration BIOS during the boot process. Check the documantation for your particular array controller. I am hoping that it is a Hardware based RAID controller. How many disks and how is the array configured RAID level. What array controller.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have more than 2TB, the 2TB or multiples of 2TB are ignored.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
ddouthitt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm using the same as the original poster (though I don't think he said). The controller is a PERC 6/i and I'm into the set up now. I'm hoping I don't have to reinstall VMware - but if that's the way it goes, that's the way it goes.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The 40 GB is the result of:

2.04TB modulo 2TB = 0.04TB --> 40GB

The 2TB minus 512 Bytes limitation is due to the SCSI-2 protocol. See http://kb.vmware.com/kb/3371739

Some answers have stated "create two LUNs of 1Gb" ...how exactly is this done?

You can split a RAID set in your RAID controller's BIOS into logical volumes. If you are going to do this, I'd recommend you create 1 small volume (~10GB) for ESXi and split the remaining space into two volumes for use as VMFS datastores.

André

0 Kudos
ddouthitt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is great information. Thank you for the details and for responding.

Now if only initializing 1Tb disks went faster.......

0 Kudos