VMware Cloud Community
indyvmuser
Contributor
Contributor

Datastore listed as snap-xxxxxx-name

Yesterday one of the VMware ESX hosts is missing a datastore. The other VMware ESX hosts in the cluster had no problems with the datastore. After investing the log files on the VMware ESX host i found the following message:

0:00:08:25.051 cpu7:1040)ALERT: LVM: 4482: vml.02000200006048c001a5296010439c53a5f8443656c657272:1 may be snapshot: disabling access.

See resignaturing section in SAN config guide. It seems that the VMFS volume has been detected with a different LUN ID. The LUN ID is stored in the LVM header of the volume. When the LUN ID changes you need to enable resignature option to see the datastore again. After searching the community forums I did the following: - Go to the configuration tab of the VMware ESX host and select Advanced settings - Click on LVM, and changed the EnableResignature 0 (off) in 1 (on). Did a rescan on the VMware ESX host and the LUN appeared as “SNAP-xxxxxx-name”. Tried the change the “SNAP-xxxxxx-name” LUN back to the old name, the following message appeared:

The name “name” already exists.

How do I get these datastores back to the original names?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
illvilja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Check this KB

VCP3/VCP4/VTSP/VSP/MCTS: Virtualization

0 Kudos
indyvmuser
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, thanks. Being somewhat of a novice with ESX4, can this be interpreted in a simple process of how to rename the datastores back. Thanks

0 Kudos