VMware Cloud Community
MidlandTech
Contributor
Contributor

Datastore has punctured Raid set - ESXi as well

I'm in the unfortunately position where I have a data store with a punctured RAID, most of the VM's on it are of no concern bar 1 which can be moved, however the data store affected has ESXi installed on it (the OS). I just wondered if its possible to replicate the datastore completely to a new health unit I have created so I can delete and recreate the faulty store.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> I just wondered if its possible to replicate the datastore completely to a new health unit I have created so I can delete and recreate the faulty store.
That maybe possible if you provide a VMFS header dump - see
Create a VMFS-Header-dump using an ESXi-Host in production | VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
MidlandTech
Contributor
Contributor

Can I ask what you need it for exactly?. Just so I understand.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

When you are lucky the VMFS metadata dump will enable me to create dd scripts with which we can extract your flat and delta.vmdks.
The dump itself often has the vmx-files and all the vmdk-descriptorfiles.

0 Kudos
MidlandTech
Contributor
Contributor

Is there no way to just replicate the drive to a health data store that's been generated?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

We do not have enough background info to answer that question.

0 Kudos