VMware Cloud Community
herbecon
Contributor
Contributor

Datastore crash on a fast initialization Raid5 mistake... HELP!!

By mistake I have initialized raid 5 from a esx 4.1 and I lost boot.

I've reinstalled vmware ESX 4.1 and datastore is empty.

If i use the Partition Wizard I can recover the ext2 / ext4 partitions but I cannot get access to the vms that i had in the datastore...

That solution recommend me ?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Sateesh_vCloud

Welcome to the Community,

If I understand it correctly - you re-installed OS on local disks but for which disks set RAID 5 is enabled?

Data store is coming from where?  Local disk/iSCSI/NFS/SAN?

Pls share more details.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Follow me @ www.vmwareguruz.com Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful T. Sateesh VCIX-NV, VCAP 5-DCA/DCD,VCP 6-NV,VCP 5 DCV/Cloud/DT, ZCP IBM India Pvt. Ltd
0 Kudos
herbecon
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've only a server with 5 HD SAS in Raid 5. I had installed ESX 4.1 and the datastore in this Raid 5... i had entered in the Smart-Array Bios and i've initialized the raid... oh my God!!

When i reboot the server... "operating system not found" and i try to reinstall ESX 4.1 in this Raid, but i only have a empty datastore (i forgot my 7 VM's)...

I try to use many recovery software to rebuild the partitions tables, MBR... and i only get to see a few partitions in ext2/ext4 formats. I have not recover  this because i think that i need the VM's files (VMDKs...)

How could i get my VM's files?

Best regards

0 Kudos
Alistar
Expert
Expert

Hi,

I have seen that a fellow forum member continuum is an expert in Data Recovery. Try reaching out to him.

Stop by my blog if you'd like 🙂 I dabble in vSphere troubleshooting, PowerCLI scripting and NetApp storage - and I share my journeys at http://vmxp.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos