MariusRoma
Expert
Expert

Datastore browsing issue

A vSphere 5 infrastructure based on ESXi 5.x hosts uses several datastore.

One datastore is accessed via NFS.

Up to yesterday when adding an .iso image to a VM I could browse the datastore, see the list of folders, select the folder containing the .iso and select the .iso.

Now when I select the datastore to locate the .iso I get the message "Searching datastore" with a line of points (see the attached screenshot) and after many seconds the list of folders.

Should I presume the datastore catalog (or the datastore itself) is corrupted?

How can I check and/or recover it?

Regards

marius

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
memaad
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Connect directly to ESXi host using SSH or vSPhere client  and try to access this datastore.

Also from command line you can run this command to check this datastore availability.

esxcfg-nas -l

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed Emaad |VCP 3, 4,5 |VCP -NV 6 | VCP-DT 51 | vCAP4-DCA | VCAP5DCA | | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I can't tell you the technical reason why there is a delay, but this is nothing unusual and can often be seen when browsing the datastore folders. I guess it could be some kind of priority issue, where browsing the datastore by default has a low priority compared to the VMs.

So it's nothing to really worry about.

André

0 Kudos
gbhorne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried setting Round Robin? Could be that the datastore is slow and needs to redistribute some of the load. Its a start.

VCP 5.1, CASP, SSSE, CCDA
0 Kudos
ASIVM
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Marius,

Can you tell please what storage are you using?

Thanks,

Max

0 Kudos
MariusRoma
Expert
Expert

The datastore is a NetGear ReadyNAS 3100.

Usually performances are good, so I suspect a filesystem problem.

I am investigating possible heavy concurrent activities as the NAS is used for backup as well.

Regards

marius

0 Kudos