VMware Cloud Community
rezeq1989
Contributor
Contributor

Datastore Problem

I have IBM-System X 3755 M3 server and installed on it ESXi 5.1 server, there is 4 disks each one 300 GB and I make it as RAID 5 to become the Datastore for ESXi server is 830 GB.

- I created 4 VMs, total size for them are 350 GB, is supposed to have almost 450 GB free size but there are only 121 GB free size.

There is any one help me in this issue.  

0 Kudos
15 Replies
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Hi,

could you please post some more information about your storage configuration on your host? Screen Shot?

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
rezeq1989
Contributor
Contributor

OK

this some pic from ESXi interface and from putty session

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

0 Kudos
nielse
Expert
Expert

Did you try the refresh text to see if this would resolve it?

Could you give some more information regarding the virtual machines if they are think/thick provisioned?

@nielsengelen - http://foonet.be - VCP4/5
0 Kudos
rezeq1989
Contributor
Contributor

all VMs thick

and when press on Refresh the free size decrease always, now the free size become 105 GB

0 Kudos
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Are your vm´s using snapshots or other backup tools?

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
nielse
Expert
Expert

Can you show us the disk size per VM you assigned?

I presume the total disk size is going to be bigger then the 350GB you see using du.

0 Kudos
rezeq1989
Contributor
Contributor

I do not used any snapshots or other backup tools

0 Kudos
rezeq1989
Contributor
Contributor

This is pic for disk size per VM I assigned

9.jpg10.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

0 Kudos
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

maybee it is stupid, but have you reboot your host?

Frank

0 Kudos
nielse
Expert
Expert

You are using thick provision lazy zeroed. If you want to have the space still left on the drive (as you posted in your first post, allocate 350GB but still see 450GB free you will need to use thin provision).

Thick Provision Lazy Zeroed works as following:

Creates  a virtual disk in a default thick format. Space required for the  virtual disk is allocated when the virtual disk  is created. Data  remaining on the physical device is not erased during creation, but is  zeroed out on demand at a later time on first write from the virtual  machine.

Using  the default flat virtual disk format does not zero out or eliminate the  possibility of recovering deleted files or restoring old data that  might be present on this allocated space. You cannot convert a flat disk  to a thin disk.

When you perform a "du" on the system you will indeed see only the used space but VMware ESXi calculates the space differently so you won't oversize your datastore.

Thin on the other hand will only allocate space when it is needed and "save" up before:

Use  this format to save storage space. For the thin disk, you provision as  much datastore space as the disk would require based on the value that  you enter for the disk size. However, the thin disk starts small and at  first, uses only as much datastore space as the disk  needs for its  initial operations.

For more information you can read up on it: http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsphere.vm_admin.doc_50%2FGUID-4C0F4...

If you change to thin your problem will be resolved.

Hopefully this helps you further with your problem.

0 Kudos
rezeq1989
Contributor
Contributor

I rebooted it yesterday and still the same issue

0 Kudos
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Hi,

but if i create a disk thick provisioned lazy zeroed, the disk is not able to alocate more GB than configured.

If i configrure 4 VM´s with 350 GB of thick disk lazy zeroed, it could not use more than 350 GB of disk space.

If you are using thin, the only diferent is, that the disk is growing depending on the amount of data actually stores.

So there has to be more disk space available.

Frank

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi..

Could you provide a screenshot of folders on the datastore too?

Maybe someone had test VMs running and removed them from inventory only..

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
rezeq1989
Contributor
Contributor

Nielse Thank you, I will try to convert to thin

0 Kudos
rezeq1989
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Nielse,

I have converted all VMs from Lazey Thick to Thin, but the problem still.

when ceck on the size through the VSPhere Client the total size is 830 GB and used is 601 GB and free size is 229 GB, but when adding the amount of used storage for all the VMs ~=250 GB.

There is any commands or any soluation to resolve this issue.

0 Kudos