VMware Cloud Community
maiconlp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Datastore NFS

Hello, I have two hosts in cluster and I don't have any storage only local disk so I want mount an NFS partition that would be visible for two hosts in the cluster so I would be able use VMotion feature.

my question is how can I add an NFS partition from ESXI ? I don't want mount an NFS partition from other fisical machine because I don't have one.

I think if I had an NFS partition on my two hosts in cluster they would be able access that NFS partiution each other so I would be able use VMotion feature.

I'm use ESXI 5.0 evolution mode.

thanks....

any tips is welcome.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SantiniStorMagi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ignore last message, I found your download information with contact details, I'll ask the team to drop you an email today.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
gaspipe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So you want to share a directory on one ESXi host to be available to the other for use as shared storage? I think that it would not be the best idea. If you needed to reboot the host, which hosts the "shared" storage, the VMs still would have to be shut down. Why not get another server and set up Openfiler or something like that to use as storage?

http://vmsupergenius.com/free-storage-for-your-lab/

maiconlp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, Thanks.

So you want to share a directory on one ESXi host to be available to the other for use as shared storage?

A: Yes.

Why not get another server and set up Openfiler or something like that to use as storage?

A: I'm starting do test with VMware VSA but I think the licence is a bit expensive what difficult deploy in some costumer. I'm searching a way to purchase only VMware license Essentials plus and I would able to use a VSA without any additional cost. I had looked at the sites that you sent and seems there is an free version of VSA that it's work on VMware but with some limits. what do think about free VSA version as link below ?

http://www.falconstor.com/download-iscsi-san-for-free

0 Kudos
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

VMware vSphere™ Storage Appliance leverages your local disks to create a shared storage infrastructuer between your two hosts.

http://www.vmware.com/products/datacenter-virtualization/vsphere/vsphere-storage-appliance/overview....

edit: just saw that you dont want vsa.

so that's a no go..

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
gaspipe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Haven't used it, so I cannot elaborate. If VSA is a no-go and you do not have a separate NAS or SAN, I would definitely use a standalone server with one of those free SAN/NAS products I shared a link to earlier. Read up on them or even try them out to see which one suits you better.

0 Kudos
SantiniStorMagi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

If you're looking at Storage Virtual Appliances, you definately want to take a look at StorMagic's SvSAN. Very Affordable and alot of bang for your buck.

Check out this comparison, it gives some good information on what SvSAN is like: http://www.stormagic.com/svsan_vmware_vsa_comparison.php

Steve

maiconlp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, have you ever deployed it in the any costumer ? or only in test ?

0 Kudos
SantiniStorMagi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm the marketing Development manager at StorMagic.

We've got many customers using SvSAN both big and small. Alot of government agencies are using it, especialy military for portable environments.

To Name a few:

Facebook

CNN

German Army

Swiss Feferal Department of Affairs.

A whole bunch of US agencies

E.ON (Renewable energy division) Currently finalizing a case study for them.

What industry are you in? I would be happy to share some info on user cases etc.

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
maiconlp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I work in an company that supplied costumer with TI  infrastructure and currently we are looking for an alternative for  hardware storage because it price. sometimes costumer doesn't get an  VMware infrastructure because the high price of hardware storage.

I have done some test with VSA and I haven't liked because it performance. so I'm initialing a test with svSAN.

I haven't had any experience with svSAN so I will be set up a test environment and validated it.

I got a issue in the instaled of StorMagic Manager setup it is finished but nothing plugin appear in vcenter server for I go and able it.

what is can missing in my setup ? I got how to from site StorMagic and there has a step about ask authentication for vcenter server that in my setup doesn't ask any screen authentication. I ran with administrator but even nothing appear in vcenter server  

I'm from Brazil as well as my company that name is Multitask.

any tips about svSAN is welcome

thanks

0 Kudos
SantiniStorMagi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi maiconlp

I am happy to hear you are evaluating SvSAN, I think the best thing to do here is put you directly in touch with our support team who would be happy to guide you through the steps. I'll ask them to also give your evaluation environment a look over to ensure that everything is working as it should.

Would you email me your details to steven_santini@stormagic.com and I will ask the team to either call or email (which ever you preffer)

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
SantiniStorMagi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ignore last message, I found your download information with contact details, I'll ask the team to drop you an email today.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thread moved to ESXi 5 forum.

AWo

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos