VMware Cloud Community
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Datastore Issue

I jsut created an NFS volume on my Netapp storage and presented it to my host but i can't write anything to it. Ive done this 2 or 3 times in the past with no issues but it seems like i had a lot of problems after updating to ESXi4.1.  Vcenter can see the storage everything appears correct but i can't write to it.  looked at the rights and it appears to be teh same as the other volumes created.  I seen a couple articles online adn it talks about going to teh Configuration, Security Profile, but the option they were looking for doesn't show up in 4.1.  Here is the message i receive. This is just when i tried to clone a machine to that datastore.  Same thing happens when i upload a file.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

Maybe asking the obvious here, but did you check the "Mount NFS Read Only" option when mounting it?

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't think so.  I doubt if i would have done that for all 3 hosts but I'm going to check.

0 Kudos
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I removed it and re-added it to virtual center and still have teh same issue.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please take a look at the troubleshooting section starting at page 11 in http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/VMware_NFS_BestPractices_WP_EN.pdf

The most common issue is the missing "no_root_sqash" option.

André

prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

those commands don't work and i'm guessing since it's ESXi 4.1.   Some of those articles i looked at talked about permissions but that option was not available under Config, Software, Sec Profile

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Page 11 shows the settings, which have to be configured on the storage side.

André

0 Kudos
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i think that was the issue.  There were no root permissions.  i'm going to start from scratch and see what happens. i tried to edit the file and that didn't work.  I am going to destroy and recereate the volume again.

0 Kudos
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Started from scratch and still in the same place.  Modified the export file on the filer and still have the same errors when i try to access it.

0 Kudos