VMware Cloud Community
alestan3
Contributor
Contributor

DatastoUsing Datastore Browser to Move VM from one Local re to Another Datastore...Any Caveats?

Hello All,

I need to move a production VM from one local datastore to another local datastore.  Because this is a single host (no shared storage configured and ESX essentials license) I plan to use the Copy/Move function in the datastore browser instead of using vmware converter.  I have done some testing on smaller VM's and everything works great; besides removing snapshots and powering the VM before the move is there anything else I should take into consideration?

Also if the Copy/Move procedure fails, will the original VM be ok (no corruption and returns to normal state)?

Thanks!

-Note-

The VM in question is 200-300 gigs in size

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Xian78
Contributor
Contributor

Also if the Copy/Move procedure fails, will the original VM be ok (no corruption and returns to normal state)?

Until yesterday I would have said yes if you use copy, no if you use move and it fails.

My typical transfer is connect my host to both datastores.

Open destination datastore add folder to copy to

Open datastore browser of source > open folder of vm > select all files > rtclck > copy

back to destination browser > in newly added folder > rtclck > paste

I've done this hundreds of times with great success until yesterday.

I'v also had good success with move but if the move fails neither the source or destination are any good.

I'm runnign in to the problem where the vmdk will not copy or move to the destination datastore Smiley Sad

I'm going to make a source to source copy of my vm before continuing to test.

Good luck

0 Kudos
PawelLakomskii
Contributor
Contributor

I had an issue when I copied a VM via Datastore Browcer while being connected to vCenter. Better idea to connect directly to host with vClient. Much better idea to use SCP :smileylaugh:

Pawel Lakomski http://pawellakomski.pl/blog
0 Kudos
PRAVIN1CA
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

If it is single host... & two DS are part of same host then copy will work!!!

Thanks

0 Kudos