VMware Cloud Community
ozone10
Contributor
Contributor

Data(files and folders) lost after restoring vmx file

I accidentally deleted my vmx file.from my Exsi 5.0 server. After restoring the vmx file I found out that all my files are also missing.

Please advice if all my work files are permanently gone. I am new in the VMware environment.

I was using Vsphere to connect. PLEASE HELP.

Capture2.PNGCapture1.PNG

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SatyS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

May be the way you restored the vmx file missed out something.

Try this method to restore vmx file.

VMware KB: Recovery of a lost or deleted virtual machine .vmx configuration file on an ESXi/ESX host...

If you find this useful,please mark the answer as correct/helpful

Regards,
SatyS
http://myvirtuallearning.wordpress.com/

ozone10
Contributor
Contributor

Fine. Does it mean that when vmx file is deleted or corrupt , all files in the virtual server will be gone?

My personal files on the server.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

The most important virtual machine files are the .vmdk files (...vmdk, ...-flat.vmdk, ...-delta.vmdk). These files represent the virtual machine's hard disks (the flat and delta files are usually hidden in the Datastore Browser, i.e. only the <vmname>.vmdk files will show up). Most of the other files only contain metadata and can be recreated in case they are lost.

André

0 Kudos
mathanmailid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Connect to the host via Putty and check the datastore\VM directory to check the list of files. That view will show what files are exists exactly. And, restore the proper VMX file.

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander

Hey ozone10,

It sounds like you are missing a possible drive in your vmx file.  Was all your files on a 😧 or E: drive on the VM? and that drive is now missing?

The .VMX file is where all your VM settings are stored.  So how many vCPU does your VM get, how much Memory, how many NIC's, what kind of NIC's e1000,vnet3,ect, how many drives, what kind of SCSI controller.  All the settings of the VM are stored in the VMX, however all your DATA is stored in the VMDK or -flat.VMDK files.  As long as you stlil have all your VMDK files you should be able to restore the data.  Like AP suggested if you check the Datastore > VM Folder look to see if you have any other VMDK's that are not added to your VM.  You can easily re-add them by editing the VM and adding another Drive and selecting use existing drive.  You could also power down the VM and edit the .VMX file to add the drive back in but I find the gui much easier.

I hope this has helped

0 Kudos