VMware Cloud Community
Botox77
Contributor
Contributor

Data Transfer Speeds

Hi all,

I am using VSphere 4.1. Everything is on GB, (ESX, SAN , Switches etc)

If I copy one large file between servers or my machine to server I am getting 100MB/Sec +

However if I copy directories containing 1000's files between the same servers, I am getting between 3MB and 6MB per second.

I understand copying smaller files will always be slower, but surely this cant be right?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Botox77
Contributor
Contributor

Just to add, I have tested copying from my machine to a physical serevr and the transfer speeds are fine.. around 50MB/sec for large directories.

So def problem with VM's

0 Kudos
sivaksk147
Contributor
Contributor

Change your network speed to auto negosiate.. you may fee the difference,  and also give a try to change storage policy to fixed. incase if it is round robin

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Botox77
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your input, all adapters are set to auto and storage is set to fixed.

Any other ideas. Its strange that the speed of large files is perfectly fine.

0 Kudos
Botox77
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone else have any ideas?

0 Kudos
haiiampc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's always true --> More number of smaller files invovles more number of File allocation Talbe Entries (check access permissions for every file before copy)

For example --> 1GB Single file - may take 10min (1GB Aggregrate of 1000 Files) --> may take many folds than 10min..

Nothing related to speed settings here.. it's matter of making more FAT entries.. same happens on Plain physical servers - have a try.

Regards - Purna.

If it helps --> Please award points - as appropriate - "Correct" or "Helpful"
0 Kudos