VMware Cloud Community
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Data Recovery 2.0 -- Still not right

I know DR is new, but it *IS* 2, and this is like the 5th fix / revision for this.  why can't they get this right?

this may be trivial, but it doesn't look good when things are obviously incorrect.

DR-5.jpg

It is showing 953GB of Capacity.  check.

DeDuplicated size 477GB.  check.

non-deduplicated size is 7.16 TB?  I may not be a math wizard.. but that is some REALLY good compression.. especially since it's NON-deduplicated...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wdroush1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

RParker wrote:

William Roush wrote:

Deduplicated, so probably containing multiple revisions? (not familiar with DR setup though)

I mean numbers like this aren't insane for Linux backup systems that do the same when the majority of your backup bulk is OS and software that is basically cloned on every machine anyway.

What do you expect your unique data/duplicate data ratio to be? Is this like VDI or servers?

Well I don't expect any numbers, I just thought it stood out.  with 953GB of space we can get over 7TB of backup.. non-deduplicated.

So if you think this is possible, then I won't worry about it, I just thought it looked odd.

It does seem a little high, it entirely depends on the side of your infrastructure though and what kind of machines it makes up. If it's 200 VDI machines (and you're not paying for the higher end VDI implementations that do deltas), I'd be like "totally expected", if it's 30 servers of varying OSes and files, I'd question how you got such good deduplication with so many unique blocks. The non-deduplicated number is just a calculation of how much physical space would be required if deduplication was disabled, not really having any meaning in terms of physical space used on the disk.

Of course though, if DR allows you to have multiple snapshots stored (again not familiar with it) this is totally expected.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
wdroush1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Deduplicated, so probably containing multiple revisions? (not familiar with DR setup though)

I mean numbers like this aren't insane for Linux backup systems that do the same when the majority of your backup bulk is OS and software that is basically cloned on every machine anyway.

What do you expect your unique data/duplicate data ratio to be? Is this like VDI or servers?

RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

William Roush wrote:

Well I don't expect any numbers, I just thought it stood out.  with 953GB of space we can get over 7TB of backup.. non-deduplicated.

So if you think this is possible, then I won't worry about it, I just thought it looked odd.

0 Kudos
wdroush1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

RParker wrote:

William Roush wrote:

It does seem a little high, it entirely depends on the side of your infrastructure though and what kind of machines it makes up. If it's 200 VDI machines (and you're not paying for the higher end VDI implementations that do deltas), I'd be like "totally expected", if it's 30 servers of varying OSes and files, I'd question how you got such good deduplication with so many unique blocks. The non-deduplicated number is just a calculation of how much physical space would be required if deduplication was disabled, not really having any meaning in terms of physical space used on the disk.

Of course though, if DR allows you to have multiple snapshots stored (again not familiar with it) this is totally expected.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

William Roush wrote:

... The non-deduplicated number is just a calculation of how much physical space would be required if deduplication was disabled, not really having any meaning in terms of physical space used on the disk.

Ah!, that's the information I was missing.  thanks!

0 Kudos