VMware Cloud Community
rampeter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Daily Tasks of Vmware Admin

Hi All,

What are all things needs to be checked in VMware environment on daily basics .Kindly share the routine tasks must be taken care.

6 Replies
ganeshgv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi rampeter,

Here i have listed some of routine checklist for VMware admins.

• Check the health of all Hosts and VM objects in vCenter.  Are there any active alarms in vCenter?  Have you set up any alarms in the first place?  Do the alarms automatically trigger notification or any type of incident tracking mechanism?
  • Are all vCenter plug-ins functioning properly?
  • Do you have any Host Hardware issues?  Alarms, bad memory, power supply or capacity issues?
  • Are all Hosts in compliance with Host Profiles?
  • Are there any resource bottlenecks?  Memory, CPU, Disk, Network?  Do you have any, or need any, additional tools to have a better handle on this?
  • Are you running at your optimum resource levels?  In other words, is the load properly distributed? 
  • Are you running out of resources anywhere?  LUNs with low disk space, etc.  Do you need to start looking at budgeting for additional capacity?
  • Check for Firmware updates on Host hardware
  • Check for ESX Patches
  • Check for VM Patches
  • Check VMware Tools version
  • Run scripts to identify the existence of VMs with snapshots and follow up to see if they are still needed.
  • Have you schmoozed with your Storage Admins lately?  A good idea since you cannot get very far without them.

If its helpful, Please mark as answer.

Thanks,

Regards,

Ganesh GV

RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

Hi ,

It is better you configure vCheck - Automated Scripted Reports for daily health check purpose .

That contains all the required  tasks .

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos
rampeter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Raj,

Can I have more details on vCheck script.Where can i get and how to execute?

0 Kudos
rampeter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ganesh ,

Thanks ! VM patches is OS patches right ? How to get vm's with snapshots.

0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

Hi ,

You may download this form below URL  , you can run this from power cli  / vSphere power cli . Also you may schedule this using Task scheduler on windows .

https://github.com/alanrenouf/vCheck-vSphere

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos
ganeshgv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi rampeter,

VM patches is OS patches only and please find below given KB link it will helps how to get vm's with snapshots.

Determining if a virtual machine is using snapshots (1004343) | VMware KB

Regards,

Ganesh GV

0 Kudos