VMware Cloud Community
netanelpe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DRS enabled one host memory high while the others are at 50-60%

Hey guys,
I'm not quite sure how the distribution is supposed to be but for some reason my hosts memory is not being distributed very well.
One of the hosts is at 90%(!) while all the others are at 50-60% memory usage.
The only thing different between this host and the others are the memory capacity. The one reaching to 90% has 382G while the others have almost double that(765G).

netanelpe_0-1657115267732.png

Should that have anything to do with the issue?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Are your VMs able to consume the resources they are entitled to?

If so, is there an issue?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
netanelpe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes pretty sure all of my VMs are getting the resources entitled to.
But again, my host is being pinned at around 90% memory utilization and I don't understand if some VMs should move to another host.

Is this the normal behavior?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

That host also has the lowest CPU utilisation.

If it was 90% CPU and 31% memory utilisation I'd be concerned.

What migration threshold do you have set on the cluster?

More here: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.resmgmt.doc/GUID-23A2BE80-BCE2-49D7...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
netanelpe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey,
After checking our DRS is at level 3(which is default?).So basically as long as the CPU is not utilized that much there wont be any vmotions?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

My point about CPU was that if it was that resource at 90% utilisation rather than memory, your VMs would be struggling to receive the resources they are entitled to, there would be contention for CPU resource. But at 90% memory with only 31% CPU, DRS clearly believes that your VMs are happy where they are.

Look at the other DRS information at the cluster level, as per the documentation link I posted.

0 Kudos