VMware Cloud Community
MALIK_ADEEL_IMT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DR plan on VM

Dear All,

We are planning for DR site on VM. Currently we have Physical servers. I have some queries hope to get some help from this forum.

1) How can we synchronize data between Physical server and Virtual Server?

2) How much bandwidth will be used for synchronize data from primary site to DR site.

3) We are planning to use SQL2008 R2 Mirroring for SQL server data synchronization between two servers one is the physical DB server and second will be the DR VM DB server is this right approach for DB server data synchronization.

Thanks

Adeel Imtiaz

Malik Adeel Imtiaz Principle System Engineer NetSol Financial Suite NetSol Technologies Lahore Cantt Pakistan 54792
0 Kudos
6 Replies
arturka
Expert
Expert

hi

1) How can we synchronize data between Physical server and Virtual Server?

yes, you can

2) How much bandwidth will be used for synchronize data from primary site to DR site.

this depends how much IO intensive your APPS are, you will have to do testing, this is depends per case scenario

VCDX77 My blog - http://vmwaremine.com
0 Kudos
MALIK_ADEEL_IMT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

If yes for query 1 (How can we synchronize data between Physical server and Virtual Server?) then what software is used for that please eleborate detail that would be very help full for me.

For query 2 (How much bandwidth will be used for synchronize data from primary site to DR site) i totally aggree with you that It depends upon the average / maximum data transfer between both sites, on the basis of that it will be decided.

So do you still think for 10 to 20 GB data transfer can be done at below bandwidth.

Bandwidth between two machines
 Application Data
Recommended256kbps CIR
Minimum128kbps CIR

Thanks

Adeel Imtiaz

Malik Adeel Imtiaz Principle System Engineer NetSol Financial Suite NetSol Technologies Lahore Cantt Pakistan 54792
0 Kudos
suhag79
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

For DC-DR replication,

You can use Symantec Veritas Volume Replicator.

0 Kudos
arturka
Expert
Expert

Hi

Let's starts from beginning -)

What do we need:

1. What are your RTO and RPO ?
  2. amount of data: you said 10 - 20 GB - this is an initial full sync right ? based on RPO we will have to estimate how much delta data we will have to transfer, based on RTO we will check is your bandwidth would be enough
  3. operating and number of systems (the one which you wanna replicate)
VCDX77 My blog - http://vmwaremine.com
0 Kudos
MALIK_ADEEL_IMT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dear Arturka,

Thank you for your reply.

1) What are your RTO and RPO ?

Reply:- We want our RTO to be within 4 hours in DR side. And our application has RPO of 12 hours means that recovery from a failures will be able to go back to a recovery source that is less that 12 hours old for 90% of all failures.

2) Amount of data: you said 10 - 20 GB - this is an initial full sync right ? based on RPO we will have to estimate how much delta data we will have to transfer, based on RTO we will check is your bandwidth would be enough

Reply:-Yes, this is initial full synchronization.You said it will depend upon RPO and RTO is there any formule to calculate the bandwidth?

3) Operating and number of systems (the one which you wanna replicate).

Reply:-Currently we have 3 servers for AUS, and 4 for NZ.

Thanks

Adeel

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Sinnce you are looking to do a physical to virtual DR I would take a look at Vision Solutions Double-Take - provide a robust solution that had its start providing a DR solutions between dissimilar physical hardware that no includes virtual DR solutions

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos