ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  DL360 G3 and Dl360 G4

Posted Nov 16, 2009 06:43 PM

HI everyone,

I recently downloaded ESXi 3.5 and 4.0. Here is my questions;

3.5 installs nicely on the DL360 G3 - No CDrom support, so I can't install anything after that. I have tried both USB drives, USB, harddrives everything, nothing seems to show up at all.

4.0 insatlls nicely on the DL360 G4 will not install on the DL360 G3 (Understandable) and provides everything. USB support, CDrom etc.

I did read some post regarding that the ESXi doesn't support the CDroms and having to add new SCSI hardware for it to work. Well that didn't work for the DL360 G3, still have nothing, can't access the Datastore either to even load some of the ISO. I know option of using client CDrom to install software, which I guess is fine, but I was hoping to find a soluation to the issue, if there is one out there. I am also assuming it might have something to do with the BIOS needing updates, but not sure.

Does anyone run the ESXi on these servers that I could chitchat with?

Kevin

• 2.  RE: DL360 G3 and Dl360 G4

Posted Nov 16, 2009 06:59 PM

ESXi 3.5 should support the IDE drive just fine on the G3. It will not support USB as you have discovered. Are you using anything other than the embedded 5i controller? Try a refresh of the storage controller from the Configuration tab of the client.

• 3.  RE: DL360 G3 and Dl360 G4

Posted Nov 16, 2009 07:18 PM

Hi Dstavert,

I am just using the embedded 5i conntroller. I have attached a external SATA harddrive converted over to USB (Where all my ISO are located) to see if it would see that too, and nothing.

I have tried reboot, refresh, remove old CD/DVD, and installing new CD/DVD and SCSIs, it just doesn't seem to locate the CDrom. This server has a CDrom installed not a DVD/CDrom. but when I tried to create a few virtual machine, and I got to start it up, it sits on the boot up screen. I have gone into the Virtual Bios to ensure that the CDrom is bootable, and nothing seem to work, or at least on this DL306-G3 machine.

Unless I am doing something wrong with my refresh, which I wouldn't surprise me. it's been some late nights trying to get this working!

Do you think using the HP specific install makes a different with this problem.

Kev

• 4.  RE: DL360 G3 and Dl360 G4

Posted Nov 16, 2009 07:24 PM

You mentioned in the original post about not seeing the datastore. Do you have a datastore?

• 5.  RE: DL360 G3 and Dl360 G4

Posted Nov 16, 2009 07:27 PM

Yes, I can see the datastore, is there a way to access that remote to install the ISOs

• 6.  RE: DL360 G3 and Dl360 G4

Posted Nov 16, 2009 07:31 PM

Right click on any reference to the datastore you want to view and select Browse the Datastore.

• 7.  RE: DL360 G3 and Dl360 G4

Posted Nov 16, 2009 07:38 PM

I would leave the boot order in the BIOS as is. Instead change to boot screen delay. Edit the Virtual Machine Settings and select the Options Tab. Under advanced select Boot Options and Change the Boot Delay to 5000ms. That gives you an opportunity to press Escape to choose a boot device.

• 8.  RE: DL360 G3 and Dl360 G4

Posted Nov 17, 2009 06:22 AM

Hi Dstavert,

Thanks for the help. Browse the datastore, was new to me, so at leas nowt I can load some of the other virtual machines via ISO image.

As for the other problems, still there. I really think it's a bug between HP DL360 server and ESXi 3.5.

I installed 3.5 on both DL360 G3, and G4p and they both don't allow access to the CDrom, I have tried everything you mentioned here too.

But 4.0 does install on DL360 G4p and does allow access to the CDrom (as I was able to install a program via that VM that way) so not sure what else to say.

Kevin