VMware Cloud Community
_So_ide-Sn
Contributor
Contributor

DHCP issu with "flexible" network adapter in vsphere4

Hi all,

I had a strange issue with the network adapter type "flexible" in my Windows XP SP2 32Bits VM. When the virtual machine starts it can not acquire a valid DHCP address, the only solution that I found for the moment is to desactivate and reactivate the network connection. I tried to remove the network adapter and add a new with type "vmxnet 2" and it's working like a charm.

Any idea about this strange issue ?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

Where your Vmware Tools up to date and the right driver in use under Windows?

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Here an older post.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/226154

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Sorry for my post!

It is wrong!!!

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
_So_ide-Sn
Contributor
Contributor

Yes my VMWare Tools is up to date (fresh install ...)

For the driver it seem's to be like "AMD PCnet ..." in windows withe "flexible" adapter.

0 Kudos
shunter86
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar problem with several guest VMs. I am using vSphere4. The guest VMs all PXE boot from a Citrix Provisioning Services server. The problem I am having is that the guest VMs do not consistantly send out a request for DHCP. I get about a 1 in 8 success rate with these VMs. Each one is configured to use the "enhanced" NIC and they have all been assisgned static IPs. Of course since they do NOT have an OS installed locally, they never see that they have a static IP unless they connect with the DHCP server. I have had a network engineer at my location monitoring traffic from one of the guest VMs by MAC and when it fails to get an IP address there is NO network traffic from the guest VM to the switches and routers to be forwarded to the DHCP server. I have an open support ticket with VMware but I thought I would give the communities a try too. All other VMs within this vSphere4 setup work fine and always get an IP.

0 Kudos