VMware Cloud Community
gbhawksupport
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

DCUI: COMMAND NOT FOUND

Hello All;

I'm about to update my ESXi server from 4.1 to 5.1 in the next couple of days.  I have update manager through vCenter & have taken the appropriate researching steps.  My question & concern though is.

I want to be able to view want is going on through DCUI but I'm getting -bash: dcui: command not found

Now I've followed the links:

VMware KB: Accessing Direct Console User Interface (DCUI) from an SSH session

VMware KB: Enabling root SSH login on an ESX host

and logged in as root but command will not run.  I'm not able to view the DCUI  (Which is weird stating that another host on the vCenter, I can PuTTy (SSH) into that host and see the DCUI fine, same ESX & build number.

Any Suggestions ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can connect to the Service Console but keep in mind there is no way to do an in place upgrade from ESX to ESXi -either 4 or 5 - it has to be a fresh install -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - Is your current hosts ESX or ESXi? With vSphere you had an option of ESX or ESXi and accessing the direct console is distinctly differennt =

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
gbhawksupport
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the fast response.

Your right.  The DCUI that is not working is:    VMware ESX, 4.1.0, 1363503  which is different then the other host which is VMware ESXi, 4.1.0

Is there a way to view the DCUI in ESX ? 

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can connect to the Service Console but keep in mind there is no way to do an in place upgrade from ESX to ESXi -either 4 or 5 - it has to be a fresh install -

0 Kudos