VMware Cloud Community
OrkanNamedMork
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Customization of Network Settings for Windows Server 2008 R2

During deployment of Windows 2008 R2 servers I'm customizing the network with IP, Subnet, Gateway and DNS entries. The server deploys with the static IP entries correctly. But... Windows Server Manager shows the IP as DHCP assigned. If I view the IPV4 properties the DHCP radio button is set, but the default gateway is visible in the greyed out field. The IP and Subnet Mask fields show blank.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OrkanNamedMork
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We suspect this may be caused by a prior admin having installed a trial version of SRS in our production environment. Just a suspicion...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
OscarDavey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You have to set the gateway probably in dhcp settings , also the ip and subnet mask should be right .  can you mention what ip and subnet mask and gateway you used ?

Best regards

0 Kudos
OrkanNamedMork
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I may not be explaining this properly, I'll try again. I deployed a VM from template with manual customization and specified the static entries for IP, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS servers. Once the VM is fully deployed IP connectivity to it is fine.

From Windows I can do an IPCONFIG /ALL and "DHCP Enabled" says "Yes", but the server has the IP I assigned in the customization wizard. I'm not running DHCP on this subnet at all. The IPCONFIG /ALL does not reflect a DHCP server. Server Manager also indicates the IP was assigned via DHCP.

But... Going to the IPV4 properties, I see the DNS servers statically assigned as I'd entered them. The IP config is set to "Obtain an IP address automatically", so the IP, Subnet mask and Default gateway fields are greyed out. But the default gateway field does contain the gateway I entered.

Perhpas this is just a function of the customization process? Does it leverage DHCP to assign the IP to the VM? What I'm expecting is to deploy with the custom IP config and not have to further edit the Windows system.

0 Kudos
OscarDavey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You are explaining properly but you are not giving me enough details about your lab setup , in vm for this Win server what is the network adapter setting  ? Nat or bridge ?  coz if your server doesnt have a dhcp the network in case you set it up to obtain ip automatically will look up for one ( router , another server ... etc )

Your Oscar

0 Kudos
OrkanNamedMork
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows server is connecting to an access network with a class A IP (10.11.68.xxx). Subnet Mask is a standard /24, DG is .1. Nothing unusual here.

I think you're pointing out that I may not be connected to my DHCP server. I do not want to use DHCP. I'm deploying a VM from a template and using the customization tool to assign an IP to the new VM, as opposed to the new VM defaulting to DHCP. When the VM deploys it has the IP I entered in the customization wizard. DHCP is not my issue. It's the fact that the custom IP config I entered during VM deployment from the template is not reflected in Windows TCP IPV4 Properties. Even thought the system has the IP address I assigned it in the customization wizard.

0 Kudos
OrkanNamedMork
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We suspect this may be caused by a prior admin having installed a trial version of SRS in our production environment. Just a suspicion...

0 Kudos