VMware Cloud Community
Matrices07
Contributor
Contributor

Custom ISO fails at Export-ESXImageProfile with a seemingly SSL-related issue

Hello all,

This is part two of my original attempt at injecting a community nvme fling driver into my v8 ESXi image.

@knikolov was awesome enough to point me in the right direction on my Python issue - thanks again!

I've now stepped through the process of :

set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy AllSigned

add-EsxSoftwareDepot -DepotUrl https://hostupdate.vmware.com/software/VUM/PRODUCTION/main/vmw-depot-index.xml

add-EsxSoftwareDepot -DepotUrl .\pkgdir\nvme-community-driver_1.0.1.0-1vmw.670.0.0.8169922-offline_bundle-17658145.zip (not sure if there is a way to pull flings from a URL)

new-EsxImageProfile -CloneProfile ESXi-8.0.0-20513097-standard -Name "ESXi-8-nvme"

Export-ESXImageProfile -ImageProfile "ESXi-8-nvme" -ExportToISO -filepath .\ESXi-8-nvme_mod.iso

It's at this last step that I encounter : 

Export-ESXImageProfile : [PEM: NO_START_LINE] no start line (_ssl.c:2460)
At line:1 char:1
+ Export-ESXImageProfile -ImageProfile "ESXi-8-nvme" -ExportToISO -file ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Export-EsxImageProfile], FaultException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.ServiceModel.FaultException,VMware.ImageBuilder.Commands.ExportProfile

Judging by the errors involving PEM and the _ssl, my first assumption was that it might be related to the other SSL cert issues that I've seen in other threads about connectivity.  However, the machine that I am running PowerCLI on does not have Vsphere, Workstation, or  other VMware-related installations on it.  I don't have an ESXi / Vsphere installation up and running yet - I'm still trying to create the ISO to install one haha.

On a whim, I checked the local and personal Certificate Authority on my machine to see if I *did* have any VMWare-related certs installed.  I found a pair under Current User : Trusted Publishers.  One was issued by DigiCert and the other, by Symantec.  The Symantec one expired in 2021.

For information sake, I have a Win 11 machine running Powershell version 5.1.22621 .  I'm running v13 of VMware.PowerCLI and v8.0.0.2 of VMware.ImageBuilder.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or otherwise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

I actually ran into this issue earlier this week and have already reported it internally, waiting to hear back from PowerCLI team. I also saw that other folks ran into same problem, so there could be an issue with Image Builder cmdlets and/or compatibility in creating ESXi 8.0 Images ... For now, you can use Image Builder UI OR vLCM https://williamlam.com/2022/11/creating-custom-esxi-images-using-vsphere-lifecycle-manager-vlcm-ui-a...  

0 Kudos
garnt
Contributor
Contributor

Also having an issue with esxi7 so not isolated to 8

0 Kudos
chall32
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Seems to be a PowerCLI v13 issue. 

Works fine for v7.0U3i with PowerCLI v11.2 (yeah old version, but it's all I had to hand to test with!!) 

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes, this is indeed specific to PowerCLI 13 and doesn't matter which version of ESXi you attempt to export to ISO. I had posted https://williamlam.com/2022/11/heads-up-unable-to-open-vib-archive-in-streaming-mode-using-export-es... and have already reported this internally but there's no workaround using PowerCLI at the moment and earlier suggestion is still applicable for the time being if you need to create an ESXi image profile

chall32
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nice one, thanks William 👍 

0 Kudos
VIR2AL3X
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I too am facing this exact same issue but only when running on macOS or Linux...working fine for me with Windows 11...

```TerminatingError(Export-EsxImageProfile): "[PEM: NO_START_LINE] no start line (_ssl.c:2570)"```

0 Kudos
nick_heaton
Contributor
Contributor

I found a workaround for at least MacOS, may work on other platforms.

Append a '-NoSignatureCheck' to the end of the Export-EsxImageProfile like so. It worked for me, hopefully it works for you too.

Export-EsxImageProfile -ImageProfile "Intel NUC 7.0U3i" -ExportToIso -FilePath '/Users/Name/Downloads/IntelNUC_esxi_70u3i.iso' -NoSignatureCheck

0 Kudos
nick_heaton
Contributor
Contributor

I tried using this for ESXi v8.x and kept getting an error "Export-EsxImageProfile: [Errno 54] Connection reset by peer"

To work around this, I Uninstalled v13 of the module and installed v12 instead.

# Bug in PowerCLI v13.x.x preventing writing of ISO
pwsh
Uninstall-Module -Name VMware.PowerCLI
Install-Module -Name VMware.PowerCLI -Maximumversion 12.9.9
Set-PowerCLIConfiguration -PythonPath /usr/local/bin/python3.7 -Scope User
New-EsxImageProfile -CloneProfile ESXi-8.0a-20842819-standard -Name "Intel NUC 8.0a"
Add-EsxSoftwareDepot -DepotUrl '/Users/user/Downloads/ESXi800-VMKUSB-NIC-FLING-61054763-component-20826251.zip'
Add-EsxSoftwarePackage -ImageProfile "Intel NUC 8.0a" -SoftwarePackage vmkusb-nic-fling
Export-EsxImageProfile -ImageProfile "Intel NUC 8.0a" -ExportToIso -FilePath '/Users/user/Downloads/IntelNUC_esxi_80a.iso' -NoSignatureCheck
0 Kudos
aaaapk
Contributor
Contributor

我也遇到一样的问题,采取了以下错误: 1、卸载了VMware.PowerCLI 的 v13.0.0 2、安装VMware.PowerCLI 的 v12.0.0 就能正常进行自定义iso了,看有人说是由于VMware.PowerCLI 的 v13.n.n版本的问题,可惜没有去测试其他13.n.n的版本。
0 Kudos
Butch0379
Contributor
Contributor

Short answer is you need to use Windows to do a custom ISO still.

I met with 1 of the PowerCLI team leads at VMware Explore US 2023. They admitted that they found an issue with using other OSs to make Custom ISOs and that they would be releasing a new version of PowerCLI that has the fix in it. If you have API support, file a case. Apparently they have a beta fix out already, but have not done this yet.

I have been holding out for the update that should be out anytime now.

0 Kudos