VMware Cloud Community
acefalcon2k
Contributor
Contributor

Cruzer Fit & ESXi 5.0 U1

Hi,

Kinda new to the community and i've been reading a lot of posts of installing the ESXi Instance to a USB.

I have a server with the follwoing specs:

HP DL380 G6

2x Intel Xeon X5560

16GB Ram

I am trying to install the ESXi 5.0 U1 to a Cruzer Fit 4Gb.

The install went well and the installation guide says it is successfully installed and asks for a restart.

After the restart, the server would not recognize the USB key and does not boot to the ESXi that is installed to the Cruzer Fit

I have previously done a USB install on this hardware, due to hardware failure (Processor) we had to re-install the instance.

Any advise?

Regards,

Andre

0 Kudos
26 Replies
acefalcon2k
Contributor
Contributor

Well I tried installing ESXi 4.1 U2 with the following steps

1. Burn installer to CD

2. Boot to cd

3. follow the instructions on install

4. select San Disk Cruzer Fit as the target install

5. confirm installation

6. enter to reboot

7. take out the installation cd

In this case the HP DL 380 G6 would boot into the ESXi fine.

the only problem is i cant install ESXi 5.0 U1 to the same exact San Disk Cruzer Fit with the same exact steps!!!

Anyone has any ideas?

Andre                        

0 Kudos
pgoggins
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Trying running FDISK on the Fit and purging out all partition data, then try reinstalling. Sometimes I've seen some of the Sandisk pen drives running unusual partition schemes which has caused issues for me in the past.

----------------------------------------------------------- Blog @ http://www.liquidobject.com
0 Kudos
acefalcon2k
Contributor
Contributor

I've formatted using the Windows 7 Professional Disk management tools

formatting it to FAT32 and default allocation size... also it reverts to an MBR partition Style

Andre              

0 Kudos
SteveA5000
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre,

Did you find a solution for this. I'm running into the exact same issue, using a 4Gb SanDisk Cruzer Fit with a HP DL380 G5.

1) I've got the USB connected

2) Boot from the ESXi 5 install disc.

3) The installer recognises the existence of the USB stick.

4) Install ESXi onto the USB.

5) After the install, remove install disc and reboot.

It just won't boot from the USB at all. I've triple checked all the BIOS settings. It's set as first priority in the boot order.

USB is enabled and USB 2.0 is enabled.

I've tried it from the two front USB ports, and also from the internal USB port.

I haven't tried a different USB stick yet. I've just bought 6 of these things thinking it would be all good.

Steve

0 Kudos
SteveA5000
Contributor
Contributor

Update: I had an old Lexar JumpDrive 1Gb that had a bootable DR-DOS partition on it to update a DELL server. The HP DL380 G5 can successfully boot from this, so I know it's not the USB ports, or the server not correctly being able to boot from USB.

I formatted the Cruzer Fit using the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool and loaded DOS onto it. The server can correctly boot from the Cruzer into DOS.

I then installed ESXi onto the Lexar JumpDrive the server successfully booted from this device.

So, for whatever reason, I cannot get the DL380 to boot from the Cruzer Fit 4GB.

Is anyone able to provide any more troubleshooting assistance based on what I've seen?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
SteveA5000
Contributor
Contributor

Update: Issue Resolved

For anyone with a similar problem, the fix;

When booting from the esxi install CD, edit the boot options.

Add formatwithmbr to the end of "runweasel" and continue the boot.

When you point your install to the USB stick, it will format the stick with MBR rather than GPT.

This fixed my issue with not being able to boot the HP DL380 G5 from this particular stick.

Steve.

0 Kudos
rnelan
Contributor
Contributor

Just wanted to drop you a line and say thanks! I was looking for a solution for the very same issue with an 8gb Cruzer Fit with ESXi5.1!

Roger

0 Kudos