VMware Cloud Community
obecerril
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Crete Multiple Datastores in a single LUN

Is it still posible to create multiple datastores from a single LUN in ESXi 6.7?

In our test environment I created a VMFS6 datastore on a LUN, when i tried to create a second one the disk even when i had over 600 GB of free space was not available. Searching for a kb or forum i stumbled upon an forum post saying that was posible but it was published in 2010.

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

it's not supported to have more than one VMFS datastore on a disk/LUN.

It cannot be done from the GUI, and you would have to do it manually, using the console and the partition utility called partedUtil

.Using the partedUtil command line utility on ESXi and ESX

VMware Knowledge Base

You will not see any performance benefit by creating multiple datastores on the same disk/LUN.

See: How can I get multiple datastores on one LUN?

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Can you please share the link to that post which says we can? I'm getting curios now Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
obecerril
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This is not at all a good idea, even if it is still possible (which I can't confirm or deny). You never want to have more than a 1:1 ratio of LUN per VMFS datastore. Even spanning a single VMFS datastore across multiple extents is to be avoided.

0 Kudos
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

it's not supported to have more than one VMFS datastore on a disk/LUN.

It cannot be done from the GUI, and you would have to do it manually, using the console and the partition utility called partedUtil

.Using the partedUtil command line utility on ESXi and ESX

VMware Knowledge Base

You will not see any performance benefit by creating multiple datastores on the same disk/LUN.

See: How can I get multiple datastores on one LUN?

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Although it may be possible to somehow create multiple VMFS datastores on a single LUN, it isn't (and IIRC has never been) supported.

From Making LUN Decisions

Each LUN must contain only one VMFS datastore.

André

0 Kudos