VMware Cloud Community
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Creating snapshot on VCenter VM during the VCenter 5.1 upgrade process ?

People,

My VCenter server is a VM running on ESXi host number 01 (I pinned down specifically using DRS rule), so is it advisable to take snapshot for VCenter Server VM during the upgrade process ?

What happened when the upgrade process failed ? can I safely rolled back the snapshot ?

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

When the snapshot is created before the upgrade, it means that the snapshot will be the safe state of the VM, vCenter and SQL in your case. But if you can perform a backup of database to a external place.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
prasannag6
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Most important question here is - where is the database located? If it is external, the upgrade process modifies the external database and snapshot commit is not useful. So it is more appropriate to backup the important vCenter folders/files (vpxd.cfg, SSL etc) and Database separately in case roll back is required.

If internal, then snapshot should work.

----------If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points (use Correct or Helpful buttons). Regards, Prasanna----------
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

It's in the same VCenter VM, because it is still running the Express Edition.

So my understanding is that the Vcenter SQL DB must also be fully backed up when the snapshot is taken.

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

When the snapshot is created before the upgrade, it means that the snapshot will be the safe state of the VM, vCenter and SQL in your case. But if you can perform a backup of database to a external place.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos