VMware Cloud Community
ehallak479
Contributor
Contributor

Creating simple host profile fails with multiple "Value specified is out of range" in error stack

We are deploying a new Cisco UCS environment using vCenter and vSphere 5.5.  Initial setup is done and connectivity is good, VMs and hosts perform as expected except for when I attempted to create a base host profile.  We have only basic configurations in place which closely match our older 4.1 environment such as networks, time, DNS and logging in place as well as SAN connectivity.  The only advanced setting we use is the location of syslog, Syslog.global.logDir set to datastore name and Syslog.global.logDirUnique checked to create subdirectory.  Other than that its pretty vanilla.  When I attempt to create a host profile it errors out with "A general system error occurred: see error stack for details".  The error stack just refers to multiple "specified value out of range" messages, heres the full error report:

Fault Details:

Error Stack:

Value specified is out of range. Range: 1 to 256

Value specified is out of range. Range: 0 to 16

Value specified is out of range. Range: 0 to 16

Additional Fault Details:

VC Build: 1312298

Error Type: SystemError

Entity: HostProfileManager

Method: CreateProfile

Anyone seen this or advice on where else to look for additional clues?  Thanks in advance!

5 Replies
TDRoy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For the range:1-256, is this referring to a port number somewhere in the vNetwork? Maybe you have a port numbered 0, 257+ ?

0 Kudos
Uriende
Contributor
Contributor

I'm now having the same issue have you managed to resolve this somehow?

0 Kudos
rapier55
Contributor
Contributor

We are also experiencing the same issue.  I have opened a case with VMware Support.  We have gathered logs that were turned over to the engineering team along with logs from four other open cases for the same issue.  They have confirmed this to be a bug that they are working on.

0 Kudos
xwing88
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem and was able to solve it. It was on a LUN which does not clean removed from the hosts. You can check it as follows:

When running the esxcli storage core device list command, you see one or more LUNs with a number of parameters without any value.

16-01-2014 07-34-10.jpg

If the device is to be permanently decommissioned from an ESXi host, (that is, the LUN has been destroyed), remove the NAA entries from the host configuration by running these commands:

1. To list the permanently detached devices:

# esxcli storage core device detached list

The output is similar to:

Device UID                            State
    ----------------------------  -----
    naa.50060160c46036df50060160c46036df  off
    naa.6006016094602800c8e3e1c5d3c8e011  off

2. To permanently remove the device configuration information from the system:

# esxcli storage core device detached remove -d NAA_ID

For example:

# esxcli storage core device detached remove -d naa.50060160c46036df50060160c46036df

The reference to the device configuration is permanently removed from the ESXi host's configuration.

I hope this helps

jwenzel
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Xwing88,  That fixed my problem.

0 Kudos