VMware Cloud Community
EborComputing
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Creating datastore in ESXi 5 using CLI

Hi All,

I've been trying to script creation of a datastore on a local disk in ESXi 5. I've found plenty of instructions for 4.1 whereby you first use partedUtil to initialise the disk and then use vmkfstools to create the vmfs volume and then use the vim-cmd vmfs_create command to create the datastore. However, for version 5, I could only one (virtually ghetto) where they only use partedUtil followed by vmkfstools and did not use vim-cmd vmfs_create. Can anyone tell me if that is all thats required or do I still need to use vmfs_create.

Kind Regards,

Vlad

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Vlad,

You do not need to use vim-cmd vmfs_create option, the vmkfstools command listed on my blog is what is used to create the VMFS volume which in-turn provides you with a VMFS datastore. The vim-cmd basically does the same thing if you did not want to use vmkfstools

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Vlad,

You do not need to use vim-cmd vmfs_create option, the vmkfstools command listed on my blog is what is used to create the VMFS volume which in-turn provides you with a VMFS datastore. The vim-cmd basically does the same thing if you did not want to use vmkfstools

0 Kudos