VMware Cloud Community
mordzy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Creating a vSwitch for iSCSI using 10gb HBA

Hi All.

Its been a while since I installed a new system. I have a basic setup for testing, single server with a 10GB HBA (HP 4000 G2 SFP+ ) connected directly to a SAN using a DAC cable.

My question is should i see the HBA listed as hardware and should I be able to add this to the iscsi switch I've created? I can only see my 1gb NIC cards at the moment. So either I'm way off or my cards not compatible.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
aguerriero
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If it is iSCSI it will show up as a NIC. If it isn't showing up as a NIC you need to see if HP has a driver for the exact model of NIC.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
aguerriero
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You cannot see the NIC in your network adapters dialogue? Or you do not see it as an available HBA in storage adapters dialogue.

If you cannot see it in network adapters then you need a driver for it.

If you cannot see it in the storage adapter dialogue then it does not have hardware based iSCSI available. You would have to use a software based iSCSI adapter and add the NIC to that.

0 Kudos
mordzy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

its a 10GB HBA.

The adaptor does not appear as a adaptor in either dialogue.

It does not show as a storage adaptor.  if i make a vswitch with iscsi the HBA is not listed as an adaptor to connect to the switch.

Im assuming it should be in one of the places. and as such i need a driver or its not compatible?

0 Kudos
aguerriero
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If it is iSCSI it will show up as a NIC. If it isn't showing up as a NIC you need to see if HP has a driver for the exact model of NIC.

mordzy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yeh i figured its way to old for vsphere 6. I ordered a different card and its now showing as a nic.

Thanks for the help

0 Kudos