VMware Cloud Community
OldManinLA
Contributor
Contributor

Creating a new vm environment

I continue to have problems creating a new vm using a Windows Server 2016 iso.  It creates the vm fine and boots once or twice then frezzes and claims that it needs to be repaired.  I am trying to create a simple clean stable environment before adding anythiong to it.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Please state the product(s) and versions involved. By only stating "I'm having a problem" you provide little to go on.

0 Kudos
OldManinLA
Contributor
Contributor

...sorry, first time posting...

I am using Workstation Pro 12 (12.5.9 build-7535481)

Host is Windows 10, 64-bit  (Build 16299) 10.0.16299

Trying to create a new VM using a Windows Server 2016 STD iso

Thanks

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

It's possible you just have a corrupt ISO. I'd try to redownload it from Microsoft and then use a hashing tool to compare the sum you receive to the one posted to ensure no data corruption has occurred in transit.

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello OldManinLA​,

Welcome to (posting on :smileygrin: ) Communities.

Do check the iso as daphnissov advised, but also consider trying another available Guest OS you may have on hand to determine whether this is just an issue with creating this VM as opposed to any VM.

"It creates the vm fine and boots once or twice then frezzes and claims that it needs to be repaired."

Are you allocating enough space to the Guest OS on each of their .vmdk and is there also more than adequate resources to back these on the hardware you are running this on? (assuming thin)

Is there adequate available compute resources for these VMs to run on? You stated Win 10 but not whether this was a laptop or a beefy physical server, this info might help.

Bob

0 Kudos