VMware Cloud Community
gciscol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Create trunk on ESXi6.7

Hello, I tried to find document on how to create trunk on ESXi6.7, but I cannot find it. Anyone can help to tell the steps briefly or send me a link? Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What exactly are you to achieve, and how does the current physical, and virtual network look like?
Please be aware of the limitations, especially those with standard virtual switches (see e.g. https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1001938).

André

0 Kudos
gciscol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you very much for your reply!

I have ESXi6.7 installed with one RJ45 cable connecting to a switch trunk port. So I would like to have several VLANs going from ESXi port to the switch. Now I am not sure how to configure the trunk on ESXi side.  Can you share the steps briefly? or could you send a link? Thank you 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Ok, so if I understand you correctly, you are using a tagged (802.1Q) switch port ("Trunk" with Cisco wording).

On the ESXi host it's pretty easy to configure this. Simply create VM port groups, and set their VLAN-IDs as required. Please note that for the "Default VLAN" that's configured on physical switch port, you must not set a VLAN-ID on the virtual port group.

André

0 Kudos