VMware Cloud Community
StorageECE
Contributor
Contributor

Create a VM with excess ESXi host physical memory

Hello,

I have installed ESXi 7.0 U2 on a Dell R640 server.

The specs of the Dell server are a 16-core CPU and 256GB memory.

For your information, there is no vCenter on this single server computer; it's an environment with only ESXi installed.

I created 7 VMs in this ESXi environment.

The specs for each VM are 8 cores and 64GB memory.

Since there are 7 VMs, a total of 448GB of memory is required.

I believed that VM creation would be successful since I understand that ESXi allows for memory overcommitment (regardless of the impact on performance).

However, the VM creation failed. I don't remember the exact error message, but it was something like, "You have exceeded the memory that can be allocated in the resource pool."

I need to use this server as a test server and must create 7 VMs. Is there a way to do this?

Is there a way to overcome this limitation?

2 Replies
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert

For Memory Overhead, kindly read well the following: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/8.0/vsphere-resource-management/GUID-2B1086F3-B3F5-426C-91... 

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
tahmeed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Welcome to the Community - Not really setting a limit caps the consumption of memory - so the memory in that resource pool could be allocated to other VMs running - to do what you are looking for is you will want to set the Pool reservation - by setting the reservation the there will always be enough memory for the VMs but this has its own risks in that if the reservation cannot be met then the VMs would not be able to start -

You should not set a limit because what has occurred to you is a prime example of what could go wrong- constraining memory to the VMs while there potentially is sufficient memory available -

If you find this or any other answer useful please like it and mark it as a solution