VMware Cloud Community
proactis
Contributor
Contributor

Create 3 separate LANS

I am wanting to set up an environment on my ESXi 5 host so that I can have effectively 1 LAN and two Virtual LAN's, but I only have 1 network card in my server. How can I achieve this?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

Do you want the LAN and the VLANs to be able to communicate externally to the ESXi host?

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
proactis
Contributor
Contributor

I want two of them to be internal and one to be chatting to our lan

0 Kudos
Slingsh0t
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My guess for what you're after is create two VLAN's on your switch, configure 1 port on your switch with both VLAN's (trunked) and connect this to one of your hosts physical NIC's.

Create a vSwitch on your host, assign the physical NIC mentioned in the previous sentence, create two vm port groups with the relevant VLAN ID's.

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Internal communications can work by creating a vSwitch with no physical adapters assigned to it.  Works great.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
proactis
Contributor
Contributor

How can I achieve that, any documentation?

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

Add a VM network to the vSwitch that has the pNIC on it. This will communicate out to the rest of your LAN.

For  private LANs, seen only by VM's on that host, simply create a vSwitch,  create the VM port groups and just don't assign a pNIC to the vSwitch.  Very easy to do and no need to over-complicate things. If you want to  have different IP addresses for those internal VM networks, than what  they self-assign, then you'll need to configure them to do so. You have  options there. You could try setting VLAN ID's on those port groups.  Bring a router virtual appliance online and assign the different  internal network adapters to it, giving different IP address ranges to  them. As I mentioned, you have options. You could even just use static  IP addresses for those network connections, eliminating the need for  additional configurations.

If you do make the internal  only port groups/networks, I would go with the VMXNET3 adapter in the  VM's you're going to put onto those network connections. For internal  network traffic, that should give you the best performance. I've seen  cases (with 4.x) where you would get 10Gb speeds between VM's that way.  Or that's how the OS/adapter translated the speeds in the VM.

Curious  to know why you're only using one pNIC connection on an ESX/ESXi  host... What are you going to be using the other two networks for? IMO,  the bare minimum (with fiber attached storage) is six pNIC connections.  Two for management, two for vMotion and two for VM traffic. Add iSCSI  storage and you'll want at least another pair of connections there.

0 Kudos